Campy 11sd derraileurs with 10sd shifters & cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So my second hand Winter bike project seems to have taken a slightly complex turn. Picked up the bike last week, did my checks and test ride all seemed OK although it seems i did miss a couple of small details on the bikes components.....

The bike was sold with Campy SR, even if the crank had been swapped out to SRAM RED i was still very happy with that. The gears seemed like they needed a fine tune and a few other bits of fettling but all good.

The gears..... spent an age trying to get them set up correctly and finally gave up on what should be a 15min task after i'd been on it for over 2 hrs. Probably set up 10-11sd drive trains over 100 times so have a good basic idea and it's never usually an issue unless something is wrong (often mech hanger, but this was at least straight).

After the usual set up procedure: start with rear mech, set lower limit screw, wind barrel adjuster 90% in etc and then start to focus on the indexing before finally set the upper limit screw which didn't yield a decent result i then decided to set the jockey wheel height and realised that the gap was much bigger than the suggested 5-7mm in the Campy spec, weird.... Looked into it further and realised that you can adjust the spring tension for the jockey wheel cage, this did help although still some issues i couldn't get my head around.

Decided to swap out the rear derraileur cable in case the current one was causing an issue as it was slightly slow when going down the gears, this has helped some what, but still.....

Then i decided to do a check on all the parts to make sure all was OK:sad:

Shifters: 10sd Campy SR
Derraileurs: 11sd Campy SR
Chain: Shimano 11sd
Cassette: 10sd Campy (couldn't find a model name on it)

Can't see the thinner chain being a big issue ? in fact it may actually help for smoother shifting but the shifters vs derraileur is i believe the issue as i assume the shifter indexing for 10sd must be larger than that of an 11sd or i am wrong in that assumption ?

Overall it seems impossible to index all 10 gears across both front chain rings, i can optimise it towards one end of the cassette but never able to achieve a decent result all the way across it, i did get it to work "OK" but then i sneezed :laugh:

It will run pretty OK as a 9sd but i can only assume that i'd need to swap over both derraileurs to get it to work correctly, or shifters and cassette to move over to 11sd (as well as both front chain rings?).

Did i miss something as Campy is totally new to me, only worked on Shimano and SRAM over the last 20yrs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

winjim

Smash the cistern
Campag 10sp shifters ain't work with 11sp mechs.

You need either new mechs, or new shifters and cassette. I'm not sure about the newer stuff, especially Potenza, but it used to be that all 11sp was compatible, and all 10sp was compatible, so you don't need SR. Record, Chorus or Athena would work fine with 11sp and old Record, old Chorus, Centaur or Veloce with 10sp. All my Campagnolo is pre-2014 but I'm guessing yours is as well if it's 10sp.

If @Graeme_FK is still knocking about, he's the man in the know when it comes to Campagnolo.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I haven't read through in detail, ut I was wondering more about lever/rear mech compatibility.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran

You need either new mechs, or new shifters and cassette. I'm not sure about the newer stuff, especially Potenza, but it used to be that all 11sp was compatible, and all 10sp was compatible, so you don't need SR. Record, Chorus or Athena would work fine with 11sp and old Record, old Chorus, Centaur or Veloce with 10sp. All my Campagnolo is pre-2014 but I'm guessing yours is as well if it's 10sp.

If @Graeme_FK is still knocking about, he's the man in the know when it comes to Campagnolo.

Yeah it seems to be a mish mash of parts... the shifters must be pre 2014 as you say, the derraileurs not sure.

At least if i go shifter and cassette i can reach 11sd, will have a look round for some "pre-loved" parts, i suppose Record or SR will be compatible.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
OK so finally got to bottom of the story.....

The shifters are in fact 11sd:wacko: i could only get the rear shifter to shift 10sd as there was some old cable (presumably when when a cable broke) and that was blocking the shifter. I only picked it up as every now and then it almost shifted that 10th click. I also had a call with the LBS that sold the bike to the guy i bought it off and he confirmed it was a regular 11sd set up, which got me more confused as the cassette was 10sd..... called back to the guy that sold it and he was very sure that he'd sold the bike as he'd bought it, something wasn't adding up:wacko: he then admitted that he had sold the original wheels but nothing more, i asked if he had swapped over the cassette and he said that he didn't need to as he sold the wheels to a friend and they basically swapped wheels over, it was then that i pointed out that he'd put back on a 10spd cassette on an 11sd set up:eek:

Anyway long story short i have a new 11sd cassette on the way and that should solve it all, finally.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
11spd cassette arrived yesterday, installed it and indexed the gears in less than 15mins, they are now puuuuuurfect:smooch:

Liking the Campy down shift, it's a really positive click:okay:

So all sorted and onto the next tasks now, may even ride it soon:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Please don't use Campy, it's Campag as the short version. :whistle:👅 Dem da Rulz. As a Shimano/SRAM user for 35 years.:crazy:

Fekkin Yanks !

PS Glad you are sorted. :laugh:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
It's easy. It's simply:

"Campagnolo"

Next you can tell me how to say SRAM

It's funny because if i say that in my Manc accent it sounds like a different word to the one that comes out of the mouth of my Italian friend, sounds totally different, i guess i'll have to learn more:okay:

I was told once that SRAM = "needs constant adjustment" although the Apex i had on a cross bike worked pretty well to be fair

Yep, still here.
For some reason notifications are not working as they should and my Google Alerts are not behaving either so I missed this.

Top Bottom