Wobbly cassette - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
This video isn’t ready
Ask the video creator to sign up and share this with you again to preview.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Ok, basically there's a fair bit of movement in the direction indicated by the green arrow, maybe 5 or 6mm.
Screenshot_20230920_215346.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not right - have you got a spacer fitted ? Need cassette teeth, 10/11 etc, hub type. You could have a few issues - no or not enough spacers causing the cassette not to be tightened up properly, worn bearings, loose freehub.

Cassettes can wobble a little, but shouldn't be in and out wobble.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Not right - have you got a spacer fitted ? Need cassette teeth, 10/11 etc, hub type. You could have a few issues - no or not enough spacers causing the cassette not to be tightened up properly, worn bearings, loose freehub.

Cassettes can wobble a little, but shouldn't be in and out wobble.

It's 11-28, it's a Shimano HG something or other. Don't know if this photo helps...
IMG_20230920_220806.jpg

fossyant

10 speed ? has it just started to wobble in and out ? If so, have you a cassette lock ring tool ? Take wheel out first and see how the cassette moves - could have a loose lock ring.

PS cassette is filthy, and chain missing oil on the rollers :laugh:

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

10 speed ? has it just started to wobble in and out ? If so, have you a cassette lock ring tool ? Take wheel out first and see how the cassette moves - could have a loose lock ring.

PS cassette is filthy, and chain missing oil on the rollers :laugh:

Yes 10-speed.
Only noticed the wobble today but probably been like that for a while. Noticed that when riding on uneven road surface there was a sort of hollow pinging rattling noise...I think it's being caused by the cassette vibrating and rubbing against spokes but can't be sure.

Last edited:

fossyant

Yes 10-speed.
Only noticed the wobble today but probably been like that for a while. Noticed that when riding on uneven road surface there was a sort of hollow pinging rattling noise...I think it's being caused by the cassette vibrating and rubbing against spokes but can't be sure.

Might have a loose lock ring.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Might have a loose lock ring.

I've got a tool like this one. I'll tighten the locknut, if it's loose.
Screenshot_20230920_223154_com.android.chrome.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be a loose lock ring of course but could also be a problem with the freehub (loose?) Only way to find out is to whip it off and see.

You'll need a chain whip too.

fossyant

I've got one, but why would I need to use it? There's no need to remove the cassette, is there?

You might need to. If the lock ring is tight, there is a problem. Take the wheel out first.

Remove the QR lever

Check cassette is tight with the tool - turn clockwise.

Top Bottom