Wobbly cassette - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

For info, wheel is a Giant PR2.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I've got a spare PR2 wheelset at home that I bought for turbo use if you're in need of something cheap to canibalize. I think the rear rim has a small dink in it but they were almost new when I bought them.

If it comes to it, how much do you want for the wheelset (or just for the rear wheel, if you're willing to sell separately)?

Excuse my ignorance - what's turbo use? Indoor/Gym bike?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Be aware that in Shimano freehubs there will likely always be some play between the body where the cassette mounts and the rest of the axle; this is because bearing preload is determined by the fitment of shims so can only be got "so close" and not tweaked to perfection as you can with infintely-adjustable-preload systems (like Shimano wheel bearings).

I had similar with my Fuji - shifting problems led me to find the play in the freehub; bought a replacement only to find that this was the same and that a bit of movement is normal.

When you say "5mm of wobble" where exactly do you mean and in which direction?

Jody

Stubborn git
If it comes to it, how much do you want for the wheelset (or just for the rear wheel, if you're willing to sell separately)?

Excuse my ignorance - what's turbo use? Indoor/Gym bike?

Static indoor trainer using your own bike.

Not thought about it but I wouldn't want much for them. Doubtful that I'm going to use my road bike ever again never mind torture myself on a turbo.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Doubtful that I'm going to use my road bike ever again never mind torture myself on a turbo.

Why do you say that?

Jody

Stubborn git
Why do you say that?

I'm confident riding on the roads and have been since I was little but there have been a few "would have been dead if it wasn't for....." incidents. A couple of them would have resulted in pieces of me being scooped up.

You read the hatred from people online towards cyclists and it just isn't worth the risk.

As for the turbo, it's just boring.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If, when you push the cassette in, there's a gap between the cassette and the lock-ring, then you need a spacer of some sort. If the lock-ring moves in and out with the cassette, then it's the freehub.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

If, when you push the cassette in, there's a gap between the cassette and the lock-ring, then you need a spacer of some sort. If the lock-ring moves in and out with the cassette, then it's the freehub.

Lock ring is tight and flush up against highest gear and moves as the cassette moves.

Slick

Guru
UPDATE: Got guests this evening so won't be working on the bike tonight. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were on the edge of your seat , waiting for an update on this nail-biter of a thread.

I won't sleep tonight.

Do any of your guests know anything about bikes?

Top Bottom