Wobbly cassette - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I eventually succumbed to the temptation to work on the bike at 10pm as guests had left...
I took off the cassette. As I expected, there was the usual plastic spacers between the gears. There was no spacer between lowest gear and wheel. There was a wafer-thin, buckled washer on the lock ring (is it meant to be that thin?).
Freehub seemed fine, no wobbling or excessive play.
Reassembled it and, for some reason, the cassette wobbliness has gone! I can't work it out. Maybe one of the gear spacers was misaligned? Really don't know. Anyway seems okay now.
Will see how it rides tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_221630.jpg
    IMG_20230921_221630.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230921_221438.jpg
    IMG_20230921_221438.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230921_221030.jpg
    IMG_20230921_221030.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 20

Slick

Guru
I eventually succumbed to the temptation to work on the bike at 10pm as guests had left...
I took off the cassette. As I expected, there was the usual plastic spacers between the gears. There was no spacer between lowest gear and wheel. There was a wafer-thin, buckled washer on the lock ring (is it meant to be that thin?).
Freehub seemed fine, no wobbling or excessive play.
Reassembled it and, for some reason, the cassette wobbliness has gone! I can't work it out. Maybe one of the gear spacers was misaligned? Really don't know. Anyway seems okay now.
Will see how it rides tomorrow.

I still think that was threaded, but happy days the wobble has gone.

Slick

Guru
What was threaded? Don't understand this.

The wafer thin washer on the lock ring was buckled.

Why was it buckled, was the lock ring threaded and tight on one half and loose on the other causing it to wobble?

Another possibility is that wasn't a washer, it could have been the remains of the damaged threads. Probably not, but it is possible.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is a 10sp cassette on a 8-9-10sp freehub. You must have a 1mm spacer between the hub flange and the large sprocket. Without this the lockring bottoms out and even when it seems/is tight it's not applying required force on the cassette (hence wobble). (This maybe why a previous owner has randomly inserted this "wafer-thin, buckled washer on the lock ring".)
Shouldn't be there. The lockring interfaces directly with the smallest sprocket's (serrated) outer face. This results in the 'clicking' (x6) as you tighten the lockring to 40Nm.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

This is a 10sp cassette on a 8-9-10sp freehub. You must have a 1mm spacer between the hub flange and the large sprocket. Without this the lockring bottoms out and even when it seems/is tight it's not applying required force on the cassette (hence wobble). (This maybe why a previous owner has randomly inserted this "wafer-thin, buckled washer on the lock ring".)
Shouldn't be there. The lockring interfaces directly with the smallest sprocket's (serrated) outer face. This results in the 'clicking' (x6) as you tighten the lockring to 40Nm.

Makes perfect sense thanks.
When I got to work this morning, I tried to wobble the cassette and disappointingly (though not surprisingly from your good explanation) the wobble is back.

That might also explain that mystery skinny washer under the lock ring.

At some point I'll just change the cassette for another one, unless the spacers can be bought separately, which I really doubt.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When I got to work this morning, I tried to wobble the cassette and disappointingly (though not surprisingly from your good explanation) the wobble is back.

At some point I'll just change the cassette for another one, unless the spacers can be bought separately, which I really doubt.

Spacers can be bought separately.
Your local bike shop, LBS, may have them SJS Cycles do them. Halfords might also have them.
You can get them from Amazon and ebay as long as you know what size your need.

Nearly all spare parts for bikes can be sourced.

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran

Visit your local bike shop, they should have a spacer. If not try somewhere online like SJS, but the postage will be more than the spacer.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
re. the wafer thin washer, IME all cassette locknuts come with that mystery skinny washer. I always assumed it is intended to help prevent the locknut coming loose and deforms under load.

perhaps some locknuts come without?

I can at least assure you it's not been added by a previous owner with the purpose of preventing wobble.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

re. the wafer thin washer, IME all cassette locknuts come with that mystery skinny washer. I always assumed it is intended to help prevent the locknut coming loose and deforms under load.

I can at least assure you it's not been added by a previous owner with the purpose of preventing wobble.

Good to know, cheers for this.
EDIT: Yep, bang on...
lockring.png

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Go to LBS
Interesting. I have just been to check all my (Shimano) cassettes (part used or new) and none of the lockrings have this skinny washer.
But it's clearly there in the parts diagram.
Given the raison d'etre of the lockring is to err lock to the smallest sprocket, why would you want a washer in there? [Edit: see rationale in later post]
Here's the Tiagra (CS-4600) parts diagram clip:
1695407428880.png

Further research (BSS): "The "lockring spacer" (so labelled on Shimano Exploded View diagrams) is a very thin metal washer or shim between the lockring [and sprocket] of higher- end cassettes such as XT, Ultegra, and the like." So @roubaixtuesday is a high end user, whereas I am not ^_^

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I always thought it was to aid assembly. To give a bit of grip as you screwed it on. Now I come to examine it that's a pretty stupid thought, but it has been living in my head for a while.

Edit - I've seen it and I don't use Ultegra components.

Top Bottom