Wobbly cassette - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

You might need to. If the lock ring is tight, there is a problem. Take the wheel out first.

Remove the QR lever

Check cassette is tight with the tool - turn clockwise.

I'm confused. Isn't the lock ring meant to be tight? I'll be using the lock ring tool to tighten it up if it's loose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm confused. Isn't the lock ring meant to be tight? I'll be using the lock ring tool to tighten it up if it's loose.

If it's tight and the cassette is still wobbling in and out, thats an issue. Try tightening first - if it moves easily it's loose. If you need force, it's tight and a different problem.

You can't 'undo' it without a chain tool though.

One step at a time, unlike another poster that has a dodgy front mech and won't do what we as till a week nest Thursday.. FFS

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

If it's tight and the cassette is still wobbling in and out, thats an issue. Try tightening first - if it moves easily it's loose. If you need force, it's tight and a different problem.

You can't 'undo' it without a chain tool though.

Ah, the penny's dropped. Understood.

fossyant

Do one bit at a time. Check lock ring first off the bike.

Next might be wiggling the axel - should be next to no movement - a tiny amout is OK as when the wheel is done up tight, this goes on QR wheels.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Ok I took off the wheel and the QR lever this morning.
The bit what the QR rod goes through seemed pretty solid.
The lock ring was loose, so I tightened it up with the tool... tightened it up about 1/4 of a turn, so it was definitely loose.

Reassembled it (had to get to work) but the cassette is still wobbly. Maybe not quite as much as before but still about say 5mm of wobble.

Random picture of cassette if it helps anyone...

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_071324.jpg
    IMG_20230921_071324.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 12

Slick

Guru
Did you have the cassette off previously?

Mine was loose a while back and it turned out I threaded the lock ring as they can be fiddly to get on correctly.

New lock ring and attention to detail wearing my specs so I could actually see what I was doing soon sorted the problem. :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You say "The bit what the QR rod goes through seemed pretty solid" assume you mean the axle, so we can discount the bearings. The only thing left is the freehub itself, so remove the cassette and check that, it's removed by a large Allen key, usually 10mm.

fossyant

You say "The bit what the QR rod goes through seemed pretty solid" assume you mean the axle, so we can discount the bearings. The only thing left is the freehub itself, so remove the cassette and check that, it's removed by a large Allen key, usually 10mm.

Cassette is removed by lockring tool and chain whip - you mean the freehub ! Depends on hub. Some just slide off, some need anything from a 10-12mm hex key, and some are accessible from the non drive side rather than drive side.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

5mm - in and out - does it slide on the freehub without the freehub moving ?

Does the free hub move as well ? 5mm is alot.
Not sure I understand the question...It's difficult to see what the freehub is doing when I wobble the cassette, because the cassette is mounted on top of the freehub.

Top Bottom