Giant PR2 wheel upgrade (£300 budget)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I have the above on my giant defy advanced and so far all I’ve read is negative reviews about them, heavy,poor quality etc.

My Freehub bearing just gave up so I’ve had to shell out money on the rear wheel to get me back up and running.

Can i get some input on a reasonably priced upgrade on these wheels.

Disk model with 12mm through bolt attachment and 6 bolt 140mm disks. I weigh 70kg and looking for reliability,durability and ease of repairs/service over weight saving/performance.

I am happy to buy used or new for the right pair. With a budget of £300.

I’m not experienced at all on the subject so I’m open to all information available from other members on what spoke count etc I should go for.

I cycle for fitness and also just joined my local club so would be doing that type of cycling.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget? Bit of a how long is a piece of string otherwise :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Get some handbuilts...

I have 12mm thru axles and when it came time for replacement went for a Shimano 105 rear hub with 32 spokes (commuter bike with panniers). For the front I decided to stay with the own brand front hub on 24 spokes. Spoke count was a gamble as I would normally go 32 or even 36 for serious over-engineering but so far no issues. The hub seems much the same as any other due to cartridge bearings, so bearing quality is the key factor and I have fitted Enduro's. I'm sure Shimano do a suitable matching front hub if you need it.

Rims are a personal choice, u have always sworn by Mavic but issues with my Open Pro's splitting around the nipples have seen me switching to Swiss DT rims

Wheel weight is ALWAYS a secondary consideration for me when it comes to wheels. Reliability and longevity are the over-riding aim.

13 rider

Guru
Think of a budget ,then look within in it or you will disappear in an internet spiral . Do you want lightweight better uphills or more aero faster on the flat both will cost a lot . My recommendation is giant slr 1 probably around £500 .
If your out with the club again have a look at what people are riding and ask

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here are two websites to browse and maybe get some ideas and idea of prices. Or maybe just get more confused.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/
https://spacycles.co.uk/

I've got hand-built wheels in the past from both of them. Both will interact by email and answer questions. Both Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic and the assembled Grumpy old Men of Spa have a bit of an air of grump about them, but I've asked stupid questions of both and got satisfactory answers.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I’d definitely favour longevity and reliability over weight.

Hand built wheels…..I’m guessing this is popular with people who want a particular specification ?

What would £300 get me for a set? Cheap rubbish?
What would a good reliable upgrade on PR2 cost me?

vickster

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d definitely favour longevity and reliability over weight.

Hand built wheels…..I’m guessing this is popular with people who want a particular specification ?

What would £300 get me for a set? Cheap rubbish?
What would a good reliable upgrade on PR2 cost me?
No, well built wheels with non proprietary parts like spokes which can be easily replaced or rebuilt

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I build my own wheels. I had so much trouble with my last set (Mavic open Pro's splitting, then replacement set came unlaced :wacko:) that I seriously began to doubt my wheel building skills!

The beauty of hand builts is that I grafted in the Swiss DT rims without too much trouble.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have that set and yes they don’t come with TL tape, just regular rim tape, so you will need a kit with tape, sealant and valves. I am running mine with regular tape valves and tubes at the moment without issue. Will find the link to show how they look on a bike. No freehub needed to be ordered separately as wheel sets pretty much always come with this installed already as is the case here.

link found:
Post in thread 'Show us your Titanium....'
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/post-6679528

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I have that set and yes they don’t come with TL tape, just regular rim tape, so you will need a kit with tape, sealant and valves. I am running mine with regular tape valves and tubes at the moment without issue. Will find the link to show how they look on a bike. No freehub needed to be ordered separately as wheel sets pretty much always come with this installed already as is the case here.

link found:
Post in thread 'Show us your Titanium....'
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/post-6679528
I’m guessing they use much better quality bearings and spokes than the PR2 wheels?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Depends on the kind of riding you do.

If its for all year round commuting/touring then a set of hunt 4 season superdura's

If its for something mid-range'ish with good balanced handling and fast rolling, then their 34 AERO WIDE DISC wheelset will probably be what you want without breaking the bank too much.

Just my $2. They have a 3 year warranty on their wheels and come with 3 or 4 spare spokes and nipples and a 10sp spacer

-- Id go with HUNT as last resort if getting a handmade wheelset isnt possible.

I dont run that many different wheelsets as im not that rich of have sponsors but my recent purchase of their rim brake version of their supadura's has breathed new life into my ride.

(Im assuming that most wheel manufacturers will only give you a 24month warranty -- at least this is the case with DT Swiss)

Top Bottom