Giant PR2 wheel upgrade (£300 budget)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

It’s not a commute bike.

It’s for a fair weather enjoyment/fitness bike with club rides included.

Something that won’t break my bank but decent quality and reliability and an upgrade to the PR2 I’m currently using.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You were probably just unlucky with the bearings. I have Giant factory wheels on another bike and have had to adjust the rear hub bearings but it’s hardly surprising as I have had them a few years now and ridden them through some bad weather from time to time although not year round commuting. Spoke wise no issues and I am hardly a racing snake lol. That being said I like fulcrum wheels, I find them generally pretty reliable compared to experiences with other factory built budget ish sets but others will tell you hand builds are the way to go. I have had these also… most of this is subjective and based on luck and anecdotal evidence. Undoubtedly probably better but get what you pay for and budget is an issue, you need to find something you are happy with that you like the look of, is available and suits your requirements the cross your fingers you have a positive experience with them.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It’s not a commute bike.

It’s for a fair weather enjoyment/fitness bike with club rides included.

Something that won’t break my bank but decent quality and reliability and an upgrade to the PR2 I’m currently using.

You will absolutely enjoy the HUNT 34 Aerowide set then. They are a fair upgrade over stock PR-2's. Lighter for faster acceleration and wider for more grip and better comfort (because lower PSI) and more aero providing youre running 25-28mm tyres (although they can take up to 32mm) the 34mm deeper rim profile will probably hold you for club runs but I assume that a lot more of your club mates will be running deeper carbon rims for faster speeds and aero advantages.

Ive never owned a ridden a set of PR-2 wheels but from what i can find on google, the general consensus seems to be that they arent great but 'just do the job' -- pretty much a disposable wheelset then. something you either upgrade straight away or ride into the ground then get something better.

if i had a disc brake bike, I probably would have opted for the 34 as well.

If you had a slightly bigger budget and fancy going a little more upmarket, you could even step it up to a 50 CARBON AERO DISC wheelset.

(All HUNT's are tubeless ready and already have rim tape applied which is another bonus of going with one of their wheelsets - They really do throw in the kitchen sink with every wheelset so as much as some people might frown at me for harping on about HUNT - The price is pretty competitive for whats on offer. At the end of the day, its down to you to make a decision on what to get :laugh:)

Tommohawk

I am also looking to upgrade the wheels on my Contend SL1 disc 2021. My broken spoke on the rear stock wheel is being repaired tomorrow.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I was in collecting my wheel at my LBS tonight.
He does wheel builds, we discussed for a bit.
DtSwiss wheels and hope hubs, hand built by him, £675 for a pair.
He kind of bamboozled me with the specifics of them.

Daninplymouth

I was in collecting my wheel at my LBS tonight.
He does wheel builds, we discussed for a bit.
DtSwiss wheels and hope hubs, hand built by him, £675 for a pair.
He kind of bamboozled me with the specifics of them.
Hard to judge without the specifics, wheels can go from £300-£5000
This is the wheel build I have for sale

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Hard to judge without the specifics, wheels can go from £300-£5000
This is the wheel build I have for sale
View attachment 639850
Way out my budget.
But thanks for the offer

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Ok I have them up for £700 just if you were looking at spending £675 I can guarantee these would be a better set of wheels and hubs plus they’ve got £100 worth of tyres on them
Yeah not looking to spend that amount, it’s just what the guy builds.
plus his are brand new.

13 rider

Guru

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Probably not a massive upgrade but will have better hubs so an upgrade
My Giant came with PR2 wheels & I reckon just about any half decent wheel will be a massive upgrade. They felt really heavy & sluggish on the bike IMO. For a while I ran a cheap (£300 at the time) pair of hunt wheels & they were like chalk & cheese.
For another bike I managed to get a pair of FFWD disc wheels (£300 one black friday) for winter & am really impressed them. They are now my summer wheels for the Enigma & the handbuilts get used in winter :okay: If you see any FFWD wheelsets cheap, it may be a worthwhile consideration 👍

Top Bottom