Cassette Throb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi I've notice my cassette and chain get a slight jump and hum when the wheels tightened from the cassette side more than the qr skewer side I have a feeling there may have been a washer sitting on the outside of the rear hub but can't remember for sure am I compressing the cassette when tightening the qr or even compressing of the stays

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Wheel not straight in the stays perhaps?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

It's definitely a possibility but it just seems odd they tightened mainly from one side seems to solve it

Ajax Bay

Guru
when the wheels tightened from the cassette side more than the qr skewer side
Please explain what you mean.
The QR lever should be open. The nut on the RH side should be tightened by hand so that when the lever's closed it's tight dent in palm of hand tight.
The QR lever causes zero "compression" on the cassette.
How many sprockets?

gbb

Legendary Member
This may, only may be a similar thing to what I have experienced a couple of times.
Replaced a chain, old cassette remained. Immediately got a 'throb', some resonance that lasted for maybe 50 miles .
It doesn't always happen but definitely has happened a couple times.
I never nailed down what was happening but a new tight chain re meshing with the cassette seemed plausible. Perhaps as OP has tightened the qqr, it's put more tension on the chain and given a similar result.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Perhaps as OP has tightened the qqr, it's put more tension on the chain and given a similar result.
I can't see the mechanism that'd put more tension on the chain (other than push on the pedals). The axle has only one choice of position in vertical dropouts however tight the QR skewer is.
My inference (hence my questions in post) is that the OP is tightening the QR with the lever in closed position both 'times'.
Clearly you'd get more leverage using the (err) lever by hand that you would if you just tightened the not (by finger): the first would be 'not tight' and the second would be 'a bit loose'. The latter might quite possibly generate the result described in the OP.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

This may, only may be a similar thing to what I have experienced a couple of times.
Replaced a chain, old cassette remained. Immediately got a 'throb', some resonance that lasted for maybe 50 miles .
It doesn't always happen but definitely has happened a couple times.
I never nailed down what was happening but a new tight chain re meshing with the cassette seemed plausible. Perhaps as OP has tightened the qqr, it's put more tension on the chain and given a similar result.

Yeah funnily enough I did take the chain off for a proper solvent wash I'll check the quick links as well

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi I've notice my cassette and chain get a slight jump and hum when the wheels tightened from the cassette side more than the qr skewer side I have a feeling there may have been a washer sitting on the outside of the rear hub but can't remember for sure am I compressing the cassette when tightening the qr or even compressing of the stays

Please explain what you mean.
The QR lever should be open. The nut on the RH side should be tightened by hand [with the QR lever open] so that when the lever's closed it's tight dent in palm of hand tight.
The QR lever causes zero "compression" on the cassette.
How many sprockets?
How do you tighten your QR skewer @Jimmy Welch ?
AASSIA

Last edited:
Top Bottom