Camsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I just cant imagine anyone deliberately trying to drive someone of the road.....I cant get my head round it. I have seen drivers do all sorts of stupid things but I prefer to believe it was not intending to kill anyone.
You're right, but there are drivers who will deliberately drive dangerously close to a cyclist to "teach them a lesson". There are also a great many drivers who really do believe that passing within a foot of a cyclist at 35mph is acceptable behaviour.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sorry, if I wasnt clear.

My view is that I wouldnt either remonstrate or report them to the Police.

I just cant imagine anyone deliberately trying to drive someone of the road.....I cant get my head round it. I have seen drivers do all sorts of stupid things but I prefer to believe it was not intending to kill anyone.

If I've understood you correctly, you would find it hard not to remonstrate when encountering some bad driving. That's surely nothing to do with filming?

Oh, perhaps you meant you'd just keep quiet and neither remonstrate nor report to the police? In which case my first point: Doing nothing means accepting bad behaviour, and sticking your head in the sand about it. Accepting bad behaviour makes it normal, and will lead to further worse behaviour in the future. Doing something about it is what all socially responsible citizens should do, IMO.

I'd agree that most bad driving is not deliberately trying to run someone off the road, though that does happen too. Careless driving can be very nearly as dangerous, and needs feedback so that driver can improve their future behaviour. If you don't give said feedback, there's very little chance of them even realising what happened and why you were unimpressed with their driving.

Surely we're not all imagining the stupid and dangerous driving that's out there on YouTube? Why even have traffic police if it's all "by accident" and doesn't matter very much?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sorry, if I wasnt clear.

I've had several drivers drive me off the road. Purposefully cutting me up, threatening me with weapons and getting out of their vehicles. Just because you haven't experience it, doesn't mean that crazy people aren't in control of motorvehicles.

snailracer

Über Member
Sorry, if I wasnt clear.

Well I have had that happen to me several times, years before practical helmet cams even existed.

Thomk

Guru
If helmet cams for cycling commuters were mandatory and all other road users were aware of it then bad behaviour towards cyclists would dramatically reduce overnight.

OP
OP
montyboy

montyboy

There seems to be two types of cyclist on the forum.

Those who seem to cycle fairly incident free and those who seem to be a target for enraged drivers.

Perhaps those who are always being "targetted" by irate motorists are doing something different to the rest of us.

Just a thought.;)

Thomk

Guru

Those who seem to cycle fairly incident free and those who seem to be a target for enraged drivers.

Perhaps those who are always being "targetted" by irate motorists are doing something different to the rest of us.

Just a thought.;)

Probably partly right. To make a start I would guess that they are:
  1. Cycling during busy commuting times in London, Home Counties or in a big city
  2. Not willing to allow themselves to be bullied by motorists when they are simply riding safely and correctly according to government guidelines
  3. Cycling more than most of us

Jezston

Über Member

Just a thought.;)

Your 'thought' is based purely on your prejudices and has no basis in fact.

Try reading through this thread again, except this time stop ignoring facts that don't support your views.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
  1. Cycling during busy commuting times in London, Home Counties or in a big city
  2. Not willing to allow themselves to be bullied by motorists when they are simply riding safely and correctly according to government guidelines

Those that are incident free or those that are targeted?

OP
OP
montyboy

montyboy

I think 1. and 3. are probably true.

With regard to 2. I dont think that just letting something pass is quite the same as allowing yourself to be bullied. I also think that the older you get the more tolerent you become.

OP
OP
montyboy

montyboy

Your 'thought' is based purely on your prejudices and has no basis in fact.

Try reading through this thread again, except this time stop ignoring facts that don't support your views.

Wrong!

I have no prejudjuces and I never claimed my "thought" to be a fact. That is why I described it as a thought.

Also, I havent ignored other peoples opinions they just havent convinced me to change my opinion.

Interesting that you describe the comments that dont agree with me as facts, many are as my own just opinions.

Thomk

Guru
Those that are incident free or those that are targeted?
Yes sorry I mean that some riders have more incidents simply because of the obvious reasons stated. I for instance cycle in Warwickshire and only about 50 miles a week. I would imagine that if I cycled 100 miles a week into London at 7.30am I would have far more problems.

Thomk

Guru
I think 1. and 3. are probably true.

With regard to 2. I dont think that just letting something pass is quite the same as allowing yourself to be bullied. I also think that the older you get the more tolerent you become.

Well I guess I am thinking about things like cycling in primary/outside the door zone which motorists are sometimes impatient with. I think that some less assertive cyclists are "bullied" into driving in a less safe position and therefore trade off their own safety with not irritating some mororists.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes sorry I mean that some riders have more incidents simply because of the obvious reasons stated. I for instance cycle in Warwickshire and only about 50 miles a week. I would imagine that if I cycled 100 miles a week into London at 7.30am I would have far more problems.

I commute over 150 miles a week in London (I leave home at 7.30am) and have very little problems.

Top Bottom