Camsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So what camera would the camsters recommend for someone starting out and on a budget?

I'd recommend saving up and buy a decent one.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I wear mine in the hope that if a serious incident occurs (like when some guys purposely leant out their car to push me off which was what made me finally get one) and i am seriously injured or worse, the footage is caught on the camera and my family will get some justice.

i don't look at the footage i film when i get home because i don't want to end up sitting at my computer 24/7 editing bad drivers and putting htem on youtube (which, with the amount of crap drivers out there, would be very easy to do). so if i'm alive when i get home, i just delete it and don't sweat it. I'm saving my walk into the cop shop for when a really serious malicious incident occurs (like the one mentioned above).

Bigsharn

Veteran
So what camera would the camsters recommend for someone starting out and on a budget?

Certainly not the best quality, but I find it gets the job done - Motrax kwikcam

Avaliable for £35 off Ebay, and no proprietary battery.

Others will recommend getting a higher quality camera, but if it'slike that at 60mph on a motorbike I'm sure any speed I throw at it will cope :tongue:

Jezston

Über Member
Certainly not the best quality, but I find it gets the job done - Motrax kwikcam

Avaliable for £35 off Ebay, and no proprietary battery.

Others will recommend getting a higher quality camera, but if it'slike that at 60mph on a motorbike I'm sure any speed I throw at it will cope :tongue:

Not if it can't handle the vibrations you get from a bicycle.

There was a very cheap spy cam thing that ... err ... that guy who reviews the cameras on youtube ... reviewed. Helpful I know. Anyway, some particular model variant and costs under £40 looked pretty damn acceptable. Might get one as a rear cam at some point.

After that, £150+ for Contour HD off Amazon.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Firsrt one I had was the ATC3K, no screen so difficult to get set tp right

Next was the ATC5K, similar to the 3K but with a screen and still had the same camers shake. The 5K was stolen off mt bike about the same time as the new ATC9K was launched. I looked on the website at the specs and also the videos and, yes, the shake was still there.

I decided to get a Drift X170, You can align the lens so problem with twisting the camera in the nount as with the 5K, adjustable volume and exposure. Biggest drawback in my opinion is the fisheye lens - not to everyones taste.
Below is a video shot on the same road comparing shake between ATC 4K and X170

ATC5K v X170

Bicycle

The only things I'd really like to have on video from many years in the saddle are the following:

1. A buzzard being hassled by crows a few feet in front of my nose for about half a mile while commuting in Gloucestershire some years ago.

It was a quite awesome sight and was happeining at my speed, in my direction, right in the middle of my lane. I don't think I'd have had that view (nor for so long) if driving.

I have a feeling that footage of it would not be equal to the unrecorded memory... but I'll never know.

2. Maybe also riding into the Desborough Cut on the Thames as a 12-year-old because it was dark and I swerved on a muddy path. A fall of several feet down to the water and then diving to retrieve my bike, guided by the eerie glow of the front light... Freezing, but exhilarating. But I imagine that would have knackered the (yet to be invented) helmet camera anyway, so no footage...

Apart from those two, I prefer my auto-distort memory to flickery video.

Top Bottom