Camsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My best use so far of my 'Muvi' is of our woodpecker (Beryl) - link here

But, I am surprised you dont hear more from our Police guys & gals who use cycles - they dont look much different from the rest of us, so the worst WMV's etc surely cant adapt their driving without being spotted?

I always felt we'd see loads of reports of video evidence being used as a deterrent / educational tool... and for the Forces own kudos.

baldycyclist

Über Member
a lesser spotted woodpecker I believe.
Saw one when I was very little on holiday in Stoke Fleming!
Thank you for that you have brought back some great memories

Jezston

Über Member
The adverts on a few of my video's are the ones added by YouTube when I have uploaded a video with "copyrighted" music or added music using YouTube's audioswap facility.
Any money generated from those goes to the copyright holder.

LOL we wish.

The UK collections agency, the PRS, won't even tell it's members how little money they get from their music being played on youtube. They did a deal with Google, the terms of the deal requiring it to be kept secret. WTF.

Apparently Rick Astley earned something less than £100 for all the tens of millions of people who got RickRolled. In contrast, get your music played on Radio 1 with listeners in the tens of thousands and you get that every minute.

My best use so far of my 'Muvi' is of our woodpecker (Beryl) - link here

But, I am surprised you dont hear more from our Police guys & gals who use cycles - they dont look much different from the rest of us, so the worst WMV's etc surely cant adapt their driving without being spotted?

I always felt we'd see loads of reports of video evidence being used as a deterrent / educational tool... and for the Forces own kudos.

I don't have a camera, though I'd like one. However, I'm not sure I'd have enough incidents to put much together (though I would have some...)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
...now there is the option to make money on you tube videos, does that add another slant?

I'm curious if any of the youtube 'camsters' that have signed up, make on it? Could it change your attitude on the road? Is it per 'hit'?

I've been offered the chance, as has Magnatom iirc. I refused because it goes back on the Information Commission's guidelines about broadcast. It also sends the wrong message about our aims which in the vast majority of us is to improve road safety and respect for all.

Now to the OP and similar: You're saying that you disagree with empirical evidence being used for a greater good. It doesn't take an idiot to understand why thousands of cameras have been sold. In true scientific balance you should take up challenge of using a camera and posting examples as to why you or your ride is near perfect and refrain from comment until your walked/ridden in both sets of shoes.

As a whole I find the OP deliberately provocative in this respect. We as cyclists have much to gain by standing together to combat the problems instead of driving a wedge. "They're not like us" has been used far too much in many walks of life.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I've been offered the chance, as has Magnatom iirc. I refused because it goes back on the Information Commission's guidelines about broadcast. It also sends the wrong message about our aims which in the vast majority of us is to improve road safety and respect for all.
+1
I keep getting these offers from YouTube and just ignore them for exactly the same reasons.

I do have ads on some of my videos, but never any that are about specific instances or drivers. I only have ads on more general videos, i.e. filtering past hundreds of cars etc. I too am concerned that having ads on videos where specific drivers are the main focus would fall foul of the IC.

Anyway, I haven't reached the threshold for a payout yet, and will have a while to wait I suspect. :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I do have ads on some of my videos, but never any that are about specific instances or drivers. I only have ads on more general videos, i.e. filtering past hundreds of cars etc. I too am concerned that having ads on videos where specific drivers are the main focus would fall foul of the IC.

Anyway, I haven't reached the threshold for a payout yet, and will have a while to wait I suspect. :smile:

I was unaware you could specify videos? I honestly thought it related to the whole channel? I stand corrected.

I was unaware you could specify videos? I honestly thought it related to the whole channel? I stand corrected.
Aye just specific videos. I get a lot if views but have still made very little. I won't give up my day job....at least not until my book is out. :smile: Over 7000 words done now. Lots to go..... !!!

MrHappyCyclist

Just heard a couple of days ago of a successful case.

I complained to the licensing authority about the driving of a private hire driver. After taking a formal statement from me, they took it seriously and called him in for interview. When they showed him the footage, he admitted everything. They didn't revoke hos licence, but did give him a severe reprimand and the incident will stay on his record at the licensing office forever. They said any further complaint will cause this one to become live again and be included in any further action. I think that's a result.

I didn't want him to lose hos job; just to learn that his actions were not acceptable and to start driving carefully. Hopefully word will get around.

BSRU

A Human Being
Just heard a couple of days ago of a successful case.

I complained to the licensing authority about the driving of a private hire driver. After taking a formal statement from me, they took it seriously and called him in for interview. When they showed him the footage, he admitted everything. They didn't revoke hos licence, but did give him a severe reprimand and the incident will stay on his record at the licensing office forever. They said any further complaint will cause this one to become live again and be included in any further action. I think that's a result.

I didn't want him to lose hos job; just to learn that his actions were not acceptable and to start driving carefully. Hopefully word will get around.

That's a fair result, shame the level of responsiveness of taxi licensing authorities is not consistent.

CamPhil

Another benefit I can see is the prospect of motor insurance companies doing a search of registration numbers on YouTube - they can easily check how long the driver has had that vehicle, so it shouldn't bounce on the wrong drivers.
But if those drivers who are dangerous can be sifted from the majority who are not, it would mean the decent drivers wouldn't need to end up subsidising the motor insurance of the bad risks.

MrHappyCyclist

I decided to publish (anonymized) this message that came through my blog as it shows further the possible benefits:
i am the driver of the hgv that overtook you that morning in bolton.the traffic islands that are in the middle of the road are designed to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists.that morning i
did not drive according to road safety regulations,for this i appologize.i should have slowed down and given way to you,i didnt and i put you in a dangerous position,again i apologise.my boss who you spoke to explained that this was the first time i had driven this truck,which is true,however this is no excuse.it is just bad driving on my part.it is not my intension to dive badly evertime i get behind the wheel of my truck.my company does not put any pressure on its drivers to deliver loads quickly,to be in two places at once,to bend the rules on drivers hours etc.that is why i have been with the company for more than 10 years.we are encouraged to drive within road regulations and be courtious drivers.that morning i wasnt.i hope you keep the video on You Tube so other people can see what traffic calming measures are actually designed for(and what a dick i was that morning.!.).
sorry
<sender's name>
ps my boss has not asked me to email you, he doesnt know i have,i would appriciate it if he does not find out..thanks

Top Bottom