Can an aluminium hub be re-threaded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently bought a second hand Genesis Day One single speed. It needed a new sprocket, which I've finally got around to tackling. I got the factory fitted Shimano one off, after quite a battle. Not to worry, I thought - probably just seized after 4 years of the previous owner riding it and not stripping it down.

So I cleaned up the hub and added a dab of grease to the threads, got out my shiny new White Industries sprocket to put on, which I've just tried to do, but it's not having it...it starts to wind on but then won't go any further than the first couple of threads.

I expected it would wind on by hand and then maybe just need a tighten with the sprocket tool at the end to make sure, but that's not the case. So I'm wondering if the threads on the hub are stripped. That would also explain why it was so hard to get it off maybe?

I'm wary of trying to crank it on with the tool in case I damage the new sprocket.

Am I being soft, should I give it some welly to try to wind it on, or am I right in thinking it should screw on fairly easily?

The sprocket I have bought should be compatible with the hub, shouldn't it?
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/white-industries/products/white-industries-eno-freewheel

to replace

https://tinyurl.com/y9kkltaa

And if the problem is stripped/damaged threads, would a decent LBS be able to repair the threads on an alu hub, or am I looking at a choice between a new hub and wheel re-build or new wheel?

Cheers,
Andy

gazza1286

Is there obvious damage to the hub? Are you sure you haven't cross threaded the new sprocket and slightly damaged the hub? Will the old sprocket go back on with ease?
Take it into your LBS for them to cast their eyes over it. They would at least be able to test the new sprocket on a new shop hub to confirm its not the problem. There may possibly too much material on the sprocket which could be chased off with an old hub they may have lying around etc..

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Look carefully at the thread on the hub. Any damage should be visible. If it's localised or slight, you can possibly repair it with either a junior hacksaw blade or a needle file.

rrarider

Veteran
If you can't seat the sprocket by the anticlockwise rotation trick mentioned above because the thread has been damaged by cross threading, then the chances of repairing it are practically zero.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.

The bad news is I failed to get the sprocket on.

The good news is that the thread is not completely ruined - the LBS assessed the hub thread to be slightly damaged, which was the cause of the problem, but they managed to get the sprocket on with a better version of the sprocket tool (mine is very loosely fitting, which is disappointing - maybe I should have paid more than 5 quid for one?!) and a chain whip.

I guess now I'll either have to invest in better tools and hope that helps, or take it to the LBS everytime I need it changing. Which is not ideal, but better than a knackered hub.

Cheers.

Top Bottom