Can anyone actually afford to buy STis anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

and do they have to sell drugs or their own body parts to buy them?

My cross bike needs a new set (old set still work but rattle like mad). My cross bike is 8 speed set up (which I really like) and I quite fancied the R500 shifters but they're £150 - and that's the very cheapest price. Tiagra 9 speed shifters are the same. 105 and upwards, you're looking at £200+. Are these prices just getting a tad unrealistic?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
jpembroke said:
and do they have to sell drugs or their own body parts to buy them?

My cross bike needs a new set (old set still work but rattle like mad). My cross bike is 8 speed set up (which I really like) and I quite fancied the R500 shifters but they're £150 - and that's the very cheapest price. Tiagra 9 speed shifters are the same. 105 and upwards, you're looking at £200+. Are these prices just getting a tad unrealistic?

I was thinking the same, then I got some R600s from Cycle Sense recently. They're short reach levers, but then I've got fairly small hands...

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

NOOOOO!!!!! I just bought a new 8 speed cassette and chain. If I'd known about this i'd have got a 9 speed cassette (mechs are 8/9 speed compatible after all).

Pants.

redjedi

Über Member
Get some Campagnolo 10 speed shifters to go with your 8 speed set up.

Veloce Ultrashift are only £85 from Ribble, and is exactly what I used with an 8 speed Shimano cassette and mech.

You could also get the cheaper QS range Campag, but then you would need to change the front mech, and I don't think you can get a triple QS.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
jpembroke said:
NOOOOO!!!!! I just bought a new 8 speed cassette and chain. If I'd known about this i'd have got a 9 speed cassette (mechs are 8/9 speed compatible after all).

Pants.

Sorry! You could exchange the cassette and chain if they're unused? Or follow RJ's advice - I toyed with that, but there was only a few quid in it - and I just like the Shimano ones better :wacko:.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

As much as like Campag (have veloce on the road bike and love it) I just prefer shimano for 'cross racing (greater availability and I can use MTB parts if I want/need to). I know that I can get Ergos to work but it seems a fudge and just wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing, if you know what I mean.

Hmm, will probably just have to stick with the rattling old STis for this season and hope new STis come down in price at some point.

redjedi

Über Member
theclaud said:
Sorry! You could exchange the cassette and chain if they're unused? Or follow RJ's advice - I toyed with that, but there was only a few quid in it - and I just like the Shimano ones better :ohmy:.

There's just no accounting for taste :laugh:

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

ilovebikes said:
how can an sti rattle? :s

Try racing 'cross: everything rattles. It's just that mine seem a lot noisier than others and they drive me nuts. They're not too comfortable either.

N.B. they are ancient 600 series (pre-Ultegra) 8 speed shifters. Probably about 12 years old.

e-rider

crappy member
pre-ultegra? Ultegra has been around for about 20 years. The groupset was first known as Shimano 600 (various forms existed, AX etc.) then Shimano 600 Ultegra and then the 600 was dropped to leave just Shimano Ultegra.

asterix

Comrade Member
Fab Foodie said:
It's time for a DT shifter revolution...

My old bike had DT shifters before it needed a total makeover, not even indexed, either. They were fine. It's new incarnation will be fitted with bar-end jobbies - I've better things to spend money on than STI levers.

Davidc

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
It's time for a DT shifter revolution...

Bring it on. I never had any problems using them. Unindexed means never having a clicking noise and always hitting the gear spot on, and friction means easy set up and maintenance. Simplicity means cheap to buy.

Couldn't fit them on my mtb though.

Top Bottom