Can anyone actually afford to buy STis anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

This is where Campag have the upper hand IMO: indexed for the rear and friction (well, sort of - multi-trimmable anyway) for the front. Best of both worlds.

Davidc

Guru
Indexing's probably essential on an sti but if you have an independent shifter such as downtube or bar end what's wrong with friction for the rear? I never had a problem on a 6 speed freewheel block, don't see why it should be any more difficult to use on 8 9 or 10 speed cassette systems.

Has anyone tried?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
cheadle hulme said:
Can't you people just save up for a week or so? Or get a better job.

Not being able to afford cycling equipment says you either don't earn enough or have bred too much.

:angry::laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
this has bugged the hell out of me recently, I've decided to go with the STI route. I even had a look at how the Ergo and STI shifters worked to see if there was some mechanically magical reason for the huge prices. Nothing miraculous that I could see, indexing is just a ratchet and release method working on a set amount of cable pull.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Davidc said:
Indexing's probably essential on an sti but if you have an independent shifter such as downtube or bar end what's wrong with friction for the rear? I never had a problem on a 6 speed freewheel block, don't see why it should be any more difficult to use on 8 9 or 10 speed cassette systems.

Has anyone tried?

Not yet but I'll have DT shifters on my Audax/winterbike restoration project (if I ever get round to doing it...) and it'll be nine speed, give me another 5 years and I'll let you know if it works.:angry:

asterix

Comrade Member
Davidc said:

Has anyone tried?

Only on the 8 cog cassette. I upgraded my old tourer from 5 to 8 (cold setting involved). It had a lovely pair of 80's DT shifters and the system worked very well. I also made the front a triple and the range was easily adequate for use on the North York Moors (and if it's good enough there it's good enough anywhere!)

Unfortunately our kit trickles down from the pro scene and once they change the fashion we have to follow, it seems.

I'm running bar end shifters in friction mode with a 27 speed set up - works a treat! The front mech is completely trimmable and it has taken almost no practice to learn how to do clean shifts at the rear without thinking about it.

S

ASC1951

Guru
cheadle hulme said:
Not being able to afford cycling equipment says you either don't earn enough or have bred too much.
And even then you can just compare it with what the equivalent parts cost on your car.

amrushton

MacB said:
this has bugged the hell out of me recently, I've decided to go with the STI route. I even had a look at how the Ergo and STI shifters worked to see if there was some mechanically magical reason for the huge prices. Nothing miraculous that I could see, indexing is just a ratchet and release method working on a set amount of cable pull.

You would think so, but on deciding to get some new Ultegra shifters, I was told that I would have to change the front mech and brake callipers as the new groupset is a different cable pull compared to the earlier version (6600)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
amrushton said:
You would think so, but on deciding to get some new Ultegra shifters, I was told that I would have to change the front mech and brake callipers as the new groupset is a different cable pull compared to the earlier version (6600)

wow, now that is seriously taking the p*ss, enforced upgrades really wind me up.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jpembroke said:
Try racing 'cross: everything rattles. It's just that mine seem a lot noisier than others and they drive me nuts.
If the brake spring isn't strong enough to pull the lever back tightly when you let go, they do rattle like anything.

Try changing the brake cables and cleaning up the calipers.

Top Bottom