Can anyone ID or age this Peugeot for me please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopybike

Veteran
20161013_184558_zps2xu3dhvl.jpg

Picked it up the other day. I have quite a few plans for it. I was wondering if anyone can I'd the model or rough year for me.

Thanks in advance

Oh and I mean ID not I'd lol

Attachments

• 20161013_184558_zps2xu3dhvl.jpg
    20161013_184558_zps2xu3dhvl.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 100

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think it's probably a UO8 at best guess, so a mass market "racer". Date is probably around 1978 or thereabouts, give or take a few years either way. You'd have to post up some component details and labels for people to be more definitive, but that gives you a starting point. Peugeot frames from this era are reasonably common but quite nice as a restoration, parts are available and they look great brushed up. It'll look nice put into 1970s racing trim with skinny chrome wheels and new tyres, and clean gear cables and new bar tape. Lose that spoke protector and the mudguard straight away! I like these a lot, I had a 1980s Peugeot Equipe.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Snap, got the same bike, more or less, it's a peugeot UE-8, from between 1970-74, it will have come with a rack as well, however it looks like that is missing, it would have provided some of the support for the fenders. If it was without the rack it would have been the UO8.

I have the same bike, albeit a couple of years younger.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Thanks guys, my plans are to smooth and repaint the frame and forks ( pearl black with silver lug highlights and mile deep clear lacquer), replacement wheels, brooks saddle and leather laced bars. I'm thinking of using some Expresso silver wheels with drum brakes and back peddle rear brake. However I may change my mind on the wheels lol

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Chapeau to @si_c for dating it more accurately.
@loopybike : It's ideal for that kind of conversion / upgrade and it'll look superb in my opinion. Some bikes demand a historically sympathetic restoration, but this isn't one... I'd do exactly the same and make it a plush retake on the 70's frame. I'd love to see the result.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I'll post up some updates as I do it.
Im on holiday in Maderia at the moment but I've been busy on line ordering stuff for it! Lol

si_c

Guru
Sounds like a good plan for the upgrades, I've been debating going fixed with mine, the 120mm rear spacing does lend itself to that. Worth bearing in mind is that the forks on mine are 96mm internal width, so worth checking on yours, not that 2mm either side should cause any real problems I don't think. The other thing was I had to file the inside of the dropouts at the front a touch as they weren't quite wide enough to fit a QR axle.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Hi
Thought I would just quickly update this if anyone is interested .

I've stripped the frame back to bare metal. I found some nice details around the head and lugs

20161101_195425_zpsibwvcqoz.jpg

I have removed all the small brackets . this frame won't need brakes or a pump holders lol
The frame is currently in primer.

I've restored and old Brooks saddle

20161115_125254_zpsz1iz7dkp.jpg

And cleaned up the bars ready for the leather.

20161117_123537_zpstbvqlbjg.jpg

It's all going nicely. :smile:

I did do a "dry build" with the wheels and crank before I started painting. a few issues, mainly the the crank alignment, but it's right now.

Attachments

• 20161101_195425_zpsibwvcqoz.jpg
    20161101_195425_zpsibwvcqoz.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 81
  • 20161115_125254_zpsz1iz7dkp.jpg
    20161115_125254_zpsz1iz7dkp.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20161117_123537_zpstbvqlbjg.jpg
    20161117_123537_zpstbvqlbjg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 90

fixedfixer

Veteran
Great bike, I had an AE-8 bought it about 1976 - similar ones cropped up on the forum here before. Looking forward to seeing the finished restoration. However, a couple of other nice items caught my eye there. The Bentley and what might be a Daimler Dart body under restoration. I like classic cars too....

Last edited:
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Great bike, I had an AE-8 bought it about 1976 - similar ones cropped up on the forum here before. Looking forward to seeing the finished restoration. However, a couple of other nice items caught my eye there. The Bentley and what might be a Daimler Dart body under restoration. I like classic cars too....

It is indeed a Bentley but the other is an original Cobra...... I do have an ace job! :smile:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Good grief - you mean you get paid to work on cars like that? Brilliant. You don't hang out over on the MIG welding forum perchance?

Top Bottom