can anyone recommend a solid BB tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
I've got a FSA square tapered BB. I need to remove to re-grease. I think I've got a tool in my bike tool kit which works with an adjustable spanner but I thought it was quite flimsy. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of a decent tool?

subaqua

What’s the point
for what bit. removing the crank arm from the Sq taper or removing the actual BB from the frame ?

I bought a crankarm remover from decathlon and it has been used on several bikes and feels solid
same for BB removal tools bought from decathlon and work even on plastic ones.

compo

Veteran
I have been using an Icetools BB tool for a few years. It is fairly long though and on a recent very stuck BB I had a job keeping it square to the collar. I am now looking at a shorter tool which should be easier to use when applying a lot of pressure.

moo

I use a massive 60cm breaker bar (plus adapter) with a Park Tools bottom bracket tool. Overkill yes, but worked wonders on a siezed bottom bracket.
310wm4Z39gL.jpg

41nCMz6aSPL._AA160_.jpg

compo

Veteran
I use a massive 60cm breaker bar (plus adapter) with a Park Tools bottom bracket tool. Overkill yes, but worked wonders on a siezed bottom bracket.

My problem wasn't the length of my bar, I have a 3 feet long torque wrench for when things get drastic, but the length of the actual adaptor that slots into the BB ring. Being longer than the one in your picture it kept canting over and slipping out of the slots when I applied lots of pressure on it. Because I was using a socket I was not able to screw a bolt through the tool into the BB spindle to lock it in place. Anyway, I got there in the end!

Tim Hall

My problem wasn't the length of my bar, I have a 3 feet long torque wrench for when things get drastic, but the length of the actual adaptor that slots into the BB ring. Being longer than the one in your picture it kept canting over and slipping out of the slots when I applied lots of pressure on it. Because I was using a socket I was not able to screw a bolt through the tool into the BB spindle to lock it in place. Anyway, I got there in the end!
If you use the right bolt/washer combination, locking the tool in place and using a socket can be done. I use a crank bolt and a penny washer (the hole in the tool is quite big) without too much trouble. Glad you got yours out though.

Road_Runner

Regular
I bought a cheap x-tools bottom bracket removal tool. It's as good as the expensive ones. Most of these tools can be used with a spanner, which is what i use.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Th
If you use the right bolt/washer combination, locking the tool in place and using a socket can be done. I use a crank bolt and a penny washer (the hole in the tool is quite big) without too much trouble. Glad you got yours out though.
Could you explain what you mean about the crank bolt and penny washer - don't quite understand how this works - got any pics?

Top Bottom