Can Anyone Recommend Me A Tough Smart Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I have just dropped my smartphone, and it's completely given up the ghost, it was pretty old (Motorola G5). So I have decided it's time to buy a new one, but I haven't a clue which one to buy. So I have decided to ask the wise Cycle Chat community to recommend me some models to consider.

I would like it to be first and foremost tough, I am on my allotment regularly and sometimes forget and place my keys in the same pocket as my phone as well as soil lurking in there as well.

I don't want to spend silly amounts of money, I would use it for phone calls, WhatsApp, checking emails, weather apps password app etc. An outstanding camera is not a priority.

Thanks

VUP

Was it in a case?

Many of the cases nowadays claim to withstand a drop from ??m so choosing the case may be as important as choosing the phone.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
If waterproofness (new word, (c) Drago Enterprises 2021) is nkt a major concern then makes sure whatever pyone ypu get next has an Otterbox Defender case available for it. Verympopular with coppers, SAR technicians, etc, who want to protect their phones from the rigours of work.

+ 1 for the Otterbox. Pretty much bombproof.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
If waterproofness (new word, (c) Drago Enterprises 2021) is nkt a major concern then makes sure whatever pyone ypu get next has an Otterbox Defender case available for it. Verympopular with coppers, SAR technicians, etc, who want to protect their phones from the rigours of work.
I would loved to have been at that marketing meeting. 'You want to call it a what?'😁

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It was. Unfortunately it fell out of my fleece pocket whilst cycling home and a HGV then ran over it, to say it's a sorry sight, is an understatement :sad:
difficult to recommend a case or a phone to withstand HGV ingress:laugh:

The comment about silly money rules out fancy and unnecessary features. In that case, just get the cheapest model from any known brand.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Those heavy duty phones are quite expensive.
Recently bought a budget Poco phone, it came with a screen protector pre installed and what one YouTube reviewer likes to call a 'condom case', clear soft plastic. Should provide enough protection for everyday use.
I'd buy one with a plastic body as the glass back of the Pixel I had before got comprehensively cracked, don't know how that happened.

OP
OP
VelvetUnderpants

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Those heavy duty phones are quite expensive.
Recently bought a budget Poco phone, it came with a screen protector pre installed and what one YouTube reviewer likes to call a 'condom case', clear soft plastic. Should provide enough protection for everyday use.
I'd buy one with a plastic body as the glass back of the Pixel I had before got comprehensively cracked, don't know how that happened.

Sounds like a good idea, buy a budget phone with a good case and a screen protector and if I do break it, it's not such a huge loss :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a good idea, buy a budget phone with a good case and a screen protector and if I do break it, it's not such a huge loss :okay:
Yes, and most budget phones now have very good specs so you don't need to put up with poor performance. My Poco X3 Pro has a LCD rather than the more expensive OLED panels but it's quite acceptable. Think they're around £200 in the UK.

View: https://youtu.be/Zvtm7jEHWTM

Top Bottom