Can anyone suggest a less destructive pet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
Is it a Norwegian Blue?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Parrots and parakeets are very possessive when it comes to relationships and can become quite aggressive and destructive. Perhaps it sees the bike as a rival for its owner's affection. Or then again, maybe it's just bored. They need a lot of 1:1 input. nevertheless, this parrot should not underestimate its owner's attachment to their bike or it might suffer the fate of this chicken.

I'm fond of birds, but there are limits!

a.twiddler

Veteran
My daughter had pet mice when she was younger and one day one of them escaped. In the meantime our PC sound stopped working but we didn't connect the two events.

A week or so later Mrs T was in bed while I was working a night shift. She heard a rustling on the curtain pelmet and when she put the light on there it was, looking at her. Mrs T has no fear of mice, spiders and such like so she just caught it and put it back in the cage in my daughter's room.

A few days later I took the PC to the computer shop to see if they could solve the sound problem. When I went to collect it I was asked if I had mice. I asked why, expecting to be told that something had chewed one of the cables. They said something had obviously been there, there were some hairs and something had dislodged a connection when squeezing past it. We thought that my daughter's mouse had found a nice warm hiding place inside the computer tower which was why it stayed lost for so long.

Not the usual sort of mouse that you associate with computers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My ex-brother in law had a parrot which destroyed their kitchen. It had bitten huge chunks out of the cupboard doors. To be honest I don't think it was at all a happy bird as they are social animals so left alone in a house really isn't a good environment.

From wikipeadia
The diet of the eclectus in the wild consists of mainly fruits, wild figs, unripe nuts, flower and leaf buds, and some seeds. In captivity, they eat most fruits including mangos, figs, guavas, bananas, melons, stone fruits, grapes, citrus fruits, pears, apples, pomegranate, and papaya (pawpaw). The eclectus has an unusually long digestive tract,[11] so tolerates a high-fiber diet. In captivity, the eclectus parrot benefits from specially formulated pellets, fruits, vegetables, leafy greens such as endive and dandelion, and a small amount of seeds and nuts such as almonds and walnuts

a.twiddler

Veteran
A high carbon fibre diet?

DRM

Guru
Put it in the fridge for 5 minutes alongside the oven ready chicken, when it sees that it'll learn the error of it's ways,
As an aside my gran looked after a neighbours parrot for a week, every time you left the room it would speak, it screeched where the bl**dy hell have you gone, it was highly amusing

Top Bottom