Can anyone suggest a road bike that takes full mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone suggest a commuter friendly fast-ish road bike that has eyelets for full guards and perhaps even a rack and small panniers at a push?

Mudguard eyelets seem to be few and far between on the bikes that I am considering for my commute, despite the reliably bad weather that we have in this country and I will be riding it year round so imho these are essential.

I have a few other caveats and am looking for suggestions;

Must be hill friendly, so a 34-27 is probably the highest gearing that I can use, along with decent brakes for the downhills.
Cannot be white - dirty and wet roads aren't nice to white!
rolleyes.gif
(The Genesis Aether 20 and the Tri-cross were almost contenders)

Ribble audax...I want it soon, so no.

Secteur...oh so close, why no eyelets?

Can anyone make any other suggestions for me to look at at?

Kinesis winter trainer, I've got the Grand Fondo and Magnatom has the Racelight TK, they are great bikes take full guards and a rack. Also you can spec them with the gearing you want B)

The secteur does look a nice bike have you thought about crud road guards, they look great IMO; I've never used them though but folk say they are effective.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd look again at Genesis bikes, my choice would be the Genesis Equilibrium which has reviewed well. A friend has the Vapour with Pasela road tyres, rack and panniers and it looks a very serious commuting tool indeed. The Equilibrium shaves it for me being steel and therefore a bit more forgiving at the end of a long day.

Most of the entry-level road bikes from Trek/Giant/Spesh have eyelets and rack mounts these days too.

I'd look again at Genesis bikes, my choice would be the Genesis Equilibrium which has reviewed well. A friend has the Vapour with Pasela road tyres, rack and panniers and it looks a very serious commuting tool indeed. The Equilibrium shaves it for me being steel and therefore a bit more forgiving at the end of a long day.

Most of the entry-level road bikes from Trek/Giant/Spesh have eyelets and rack mounts these days too.

Strangely, the Equilibrium is my ideal dream bike...but they sold out just after Xmas!!! Nice to be popular eh. grumble grumble. My only concern with the Vapour is the Canti's due to the hills around here. apart from that, it ticks all the boxes - I'll have a word with the shop about seeing what they can do.

Trek has eyelets with the 1.5, Giant have eyelets, but no clearance for SKS type full guards unless they are their own, which don't fit with anything more than 23mm tyres.
Spesh do not have eyelets with their Allez or Secteur for some reason.

potsy

Rambler
It is a shame that the Secteur doesn't take full guards,I have the race-blades on mine and they are better than no guards,but tbh don't exactly keep the bike spotless(yes it's white) but do stop you getting a wet arse.
Am myself looking for options for my wet weather/all year bike,like you I want drop bar,fast,guard compatible,but am struggling to get a decent short-list together.
Croix de fer,and Kona honky inc are possibles but £1000+,may go for a Tri-cross.

threshold

I've got to say the Genesis Aether has been a great tool for me, mudguards keep me ( and the bike) nice and clean and any crud soon washes down after, and anyhow I suppose we should clean down even our commuting hacks after really nasty outings.
OOh, and I have found it climbs remarkably easily, which was a big concern for me as I have a couple of 19-20% micro climbs on my work route. Good luck with the bike search, exciting ain't it? :bicycle:

Giant defy has clearance and comes in a triple. I've got one and am very happy with it.

Which Defy, tyres and guards do you have lazyfatgit? The reviews all seem to suggest that guards won't fit with stock tyres.
Apart from that, the Defy2 looks ideal, so if you can confirm the opposite, it will shift up my list. (Defy 2 doesn't have a triple option unfortunately)

lazyfatgit

got a defy 3, running 23c pro race 3. not got guards fitted yet, but one of the reasons for getting it was that there was clearance for when/if I bring it home (bike is abroad).

I see on bikeradar they suggest there is a problem with clearing the brake bridge, I'll have a look when i get back at the weekend.

Top Bottom