Can anyone tell me more about this Mistral Super Sport bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

invisibleway

Regular
Hi

I am considering buying this bike later today for £60 as a project. I want to strip it, basically do it all up to edumacate myself more on bikes. Then use it as an everyday bike.

bike2.JPG

But I can't find anything about Mistral bikes, or what year it might be from
I've read that it could actually be made by Puch?

bike.JPG

Only other info I can get about the bike is this:
Mistral super sport racing/road bike
Frame size 23"
700 alloy sun shells
14 speed

Any clues?

plantfit

Guru
I had a Puch Mistral cycle in the 1980's, metallic green, weinmann brakes, Sachs/ Huret gears, I think it was a welded frame as opposed to brazed
not sure this has helped your quest for answers though but bought back fond memories for me

Roger

sidevalve

Über Member
Had one of these years ago - sorry don't know much about it though. As above it was a bit heavy but it took some serious stick and always came back for more. Would make a good strong commuting bike.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Looks in reasonable condition. Can't quite see from the pictures but is it cottered cranks?

I'm guessing that you'll probably want to put new tyres, tubes, brakes and cables on. Plus if you haven't got them some bike tools. Budget and extra £50 minimum on top if you do need those new parts.

Other essentials are grease, wd40, aoutosolv and some luck or brute strength to loosen seat posts and handlebar stems. Oh and don't forget to take pictures as your disassembling so you know how to put it all back (I fell foul of this at the start lol and put things back together wrong lol)

It's fun stripping them down and rebuilding them.

OP
OP
invisibleway

invisibleway

Regular
Well bad news the guy sold to someone else
If I could of got their earlier I would but I had commitments today
He then offered up 2 different bikes (this irked me... where's he getting them from?)
raleigh record and raleigh sprint
And I said ok, i'll take the sprint, then he demanded more money.

Anywho guess i'll keep looking, I am planing to completely strip, try respray myself and I want a solid steal 80's commuter/everyday bike
Hence why i'm not worried if I spend £50 or summin and screw it all up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you had a lucky escape with the Mistral! To be fair the Sprint and Record are much superior.

OP
OP
invisibleway

invisibleway

Regular
@biggs682 ideally I'd like a 58cm but will also go for a 56cm.

I'm still looking and @Tony Raynor has offered to keep his eye out for me too. Y'all are kind.

As I don't earn all that much, I want something cheap but will do up nice, but it has to be rideable-ish from the get go as i'll only be doing it up in stages.
Also i've had like 5 bikes nicked already and riding my cannondale into town to go shopping I always have to carry about 3 locks lol

Well bad news the guy sold to someone else
If I could of got their earlier I would but I had commitments today
He then offered up 2 different bikes (this irked me... where's he getting them from?)
raleigh record and raleigh sprint
And I said ok, i'll take the sprint, then he demanded more money.

Anywho guess i'll keep looking, I am planing to completely strip, try respray myself and I want a solid steal 80's commuter/everyday bike
Hence why i'm not worried if I spend £50 or summin and screw it all up.

How about this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-F...d=100005&prg=1048&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=380846001957&

nothing to do with me but looks like it could fit the bill.

JoB

Hi

I am considering buying this bike later today for £60 as a project. I want to strip it, basically do it all up to edumacate myself more on bikes. Then use it as an everyday bike.

View attachment 38614

But I can't find anything about Mistral bikes, or what year it might be from
I've read that it could actually be made by Puch?

View attachment 38615

Only other info I can get about the bike is this:
Mistral super sport racing/road bike
Frame size 23"
700 alloy sun shells
14 speed

Any clues?
Theres one for sale on ebay today going for £1

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am considering buying this bike later today for £60 as a project. I want to strip it, basically do it all up to edumacate myself more on bikes. Then use it as an everyday bike.?

If you want an idiot-proof fixer upper to familiarise yourself with bike mechanics try to pick up a 1990's Raleigh Pioneer hybrid, and you should end up with a decent runabout that will not be a high risk theft target. You can often pick up working ones in rideable condition for no more than £20, which might only need a bit of oil on the chain and air in the tyres before you can try it out on the road. £60 is a bit much for a gas pipe Puch, IMHO. You can get better quality drop bar bikes for less money, even a Reynolds 531 frame model if you are choosy and don't buy the first one you see.

Top Bottom