Can Caliper Brakes be fitted to a frame with v brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
The answers probably no, but can can caliper brakes be fitted to a frame that takes v brakes. The bridge between the seat stays has a bridge between them but the hole is for mud guards and approx 90 deg to what I'd need.

I've a couple of bikes with V-brakes, both have a hole in the bridge that could be used for mounting caliper brakes or mudguards. I'm baffled by the hole at 90 deg? How does the mudguard fit to it? Can we have a pic?

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
porkypete said:
I've a couple of bikes with V-brakes, both have a hole in the bridge that could be used for mounting caliper brakes or mudguards. I'm baffled by the hole at 90 deg? How does the mudguard fit to it? Can we have a pic?

I'm at work just now so I cant post a photo but the hole is vertical so if mounting guards I put the bolt down through the hole in top of the mud guard if that makes sense.

GrumpyGreg said:
why would you want to fit poorer (IMO) brakes on any bike?

I converted the bike to drop/stis last year and caliper brakes are more compatable on my other road bike with the drops to caliper set up they are much better.

jpembroke

porkypete said:

Planet X Kaffenback has a seatstay bridge with a hole positioned like this. To fit a mudguard you either bodge something or you drill hole in the 'guard. I chose the latter and it makes for a very sturdy mudguard. Bit of a bummer having to drill a hole in a mudguard though.

jpembroke

mickle said:
You will need hangers mind. What sort of headset are you on? Does the slot in your seat tube face backwards?

even if the slot faces forwards you can still fit a seatclamp-mounted rear cable hanger. Just needs a bit of filing down first. Again, Planet X Kaffenback springs to mind. Boy, that was an odd bike.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
mickle said:
You will need hangers mind. What sort of headset are you on? Does the slot in your seat tube face backwards?
Just browsing the net shops and I'd forgotten about them :laugh: I think I'll have to check out a few lbs. Yip the slot in my seat tube does face backwards although I've rotated the clamp so its slot is to the front as its a carbon seat post.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
HLaB said:
I converted the bike to drop/stis last year and caliper brakes are more compatable on my other road bike with the drops to caliper set up they are much better.

I struggle to believe that a well setup caliper is even in the same league as well set up V's even with drop levers. I've currently got drops v's and dia compe v levers and it will stick me over the bars soon as look at me :blush:

I've got a set of bar end shifters though, not STI's, for the day when it gets gears again.

Try Avid Shorty canti's stunningly good (for a canti);)

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
GrumpyGreg said:
I struggle to believe that a well setup caliper is even in the same league as well set up V's even with drop levers. I've currently got drops v's and dia compe v levers and it will stick me over the bars soon as look at me :biggrin:

I've got a set of bar end shifters though, not STI's, for the day when it gets gears again.

Try Avid Shorty canti's stunningly good (for a canti):blush:
The calipers on my other bike are definitely better but that's probably got something to do with the levers Veloce as opposed to Sora and its used in summer conditions and being well set up as you suggest.

I'm currently using the tektro brakes on the highest retention hole which was great when it was a flat bar bike maybe its not so great now:wacko:
Maybe I'm also expecting too much of the levers, they're just about 10-15mm short of giving me the perfect feathering control when on the hoods; they do stop me dead with only about 1/2 the lever pulled but I have to readjust my grip (or perhaps I need bigger hands ;)).

Top Bottom