Can Halfords be the right choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack the lad

A friend of mine has a Carrera MTB and it is an excellent bike for the money. It is also worth having a look at Edinburgh Bicycle co-op own brand bikes - Revolution - which are great value budget bikes, especially in the current sale (and they do women's geometry MTBs with a good on-line size guide). If you've got a shop that sells Claud Butlers nearby you can try them for size as they seem to use the same frames & then buy off the webnet from EBC. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C442&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018345.

No.

If you are wanting to buy a new bike, I personally think in this day and age the manner the staff treat you is not so important, after all it is the best value for money you want. With chains Like Halfords, Evans and the other similar the staff during the weekedays are often full time and have a better knowledge, whereas at weekends the staff tend to be spotty meldones just wanting to earn pocket money.

Personally I research my purchase prior to visiting a shop like you have done on here. I draw up a list with the make of bike down one side, then have columns for each of what you think are key points for your requirements taken in account that we are all different in shape and size. Then the bikes with the most ticks means you can visit the shop which holds the bike, check it out, see if they can offer a good deal, and if no best price, then check online to see if any of the online shops can offer best price.

subaqua

What’s the point
If you are wanting to buy a new bike, I personally think in this day and age the manner the staff treat you is not so important, after all it is the best value for money you want. With chains Like Halfords, Evans and the other similar the staff during the weekedays are often full time and have a better knowledge, whereas at weekends the staff tend to be spotty meldones just wanting to earn pocket money.

Personally I research my purchase prior to visiting a shop like you have done on here. I draw up a list with the make of bike down one side, then have columns for each of what you think are key points for your requirements taken in account that we are all different in shape and size. Then the bikes with the most ticks means you can visit the shop which holds the bike, check it out, see if they can offer a good deal, and if no best price, then check online to see if any of the online shops can offer best price.

If i am giving the supplier a good chunk of my hard earned , the least i expect is a smile, please and thank you. not monosyllabic grunts or a condescending attitude. the guy in Evans at Lakeside didn't even listen to my requirements and sheperded me straight to a £1k road bike. at that point i just turned round and walked out.

the 1st guy at Halfords there was rubbish. similar attitude to rthe Evans guy. I was walking away when another sales guy came across and asked if everything was OK I told hime what i was looking for ansd he chowed me a nice Carrera within budget, and a really good Giant just out of my budget, both MTBs which is what i was looking for having researched what i needed for the type of riding i wanted to do.

the decathlon guys got my money as they were even better at listening explaining and willing to spend some considerable time letting me try bikes out round the store.

I got my daughters new bike from Go outdoors last year and they had a similar customer service policy to decathlon.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I did Dr. Bike sessions in Brighton last year, and new bikes from Halfords had defective brakes, crap shocks, slack spokes and were completely the wrong size for the rider. Halfords doesn't have a monopoly of crap service, but I'd at least check the thing out very carefully.

Ivan Ardon

There's a Carrera in our household, it's the wife's bike and a decent bike for the money we paid for it. I've also had a Revolution from EBC and was keen for Mrs A to get one as well. However the Carrera was bought in a bricks and mortar shop, the Revolution online, so she could try the bike for size and see in in the flesh.

Although the Revolution is a better bike, she's happy with the Carrera as she chose it herself.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Local bike shops are run by and employ cycling enthusiasts. As you're dealing with keen cyclists, you'll get better service even if some of them can be a little elitist.

Trouble with big chains is that a lot of staff are part time students/sixth form school kids who have no interest in cycling.

I found that Halfords will usually have 1 or 2 keen cyclists, who if you get them when they're in, will provide an exceptional service.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Well, the deed is done.

We went in last evening so the wife could see the options I'd whittled down for her and try them out for size, only the graveyard shift on duty and they only had 18inch frames on display where 16inch would be better suited. She was happy with the bike, a Carera Vulcan Womens spec, but in the smaller size. The young yoof on duty wouldn''t insprire anyone with confidence, but fortunately I knew what I was looking for.

After sleeping on the idea for the night, I went back in today to order it. This time the lad on duty was much more inspiring, actually showed some knowledge of the different levels of shimano/sram gear etc, much better. So, money paid, she collects it tomorrow.

After my visit to Halfords I paid a visit to my local bikeshop, whom I normally deal with, to get some crud guards for the Bianchi even tho they were cheaper in Halfords, so thats my concience cleared.

Thanks for all the replies, the for's and the against's

Chris

Top Bottom