Can I be bothered and where should I go? Ride my bike today......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm off shift today and none of the chores on 'The List' are desperately in need of ticking off right this moment. The weather is reasonable until mid-afternoon (Dry but frickin cold so just about perfect). I have a number of bikes at my disposal (Road bike, retro steel road bike, hybrid, MTB) and I feel I should ideally do 2-3 hrs riding (approx. 30 miles if going on road) to help maintain my weight as I seem to have started the Christmas binge a little early this year :blush:
Trouble is, I'm not sure I can be bothered and have no inspiration for where to head to. I don't really do riding for ridings sake and nearly always have to have a destination/purpose to my rides, even if this is only going to see somewhere I haven't been for ages then returning home.

Over to you guys.... Starting from Ashton-under-Lyne, where should I go to do around 30 miles on the road or 2-3hrs on the MTB?

:popcorn:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Over Woodhead Pass & down, coffee with me at Sid's Café in Holmfirth around 12, back over the Isle of Skye. MTB or roadie's your choice :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put the bike in the car and go somewhere different. How far are you from the A58 climb from Hollingworth Lake up to the White House? You can then turn left towards Crag Vale then left again after the reservoir and follow the drain system right round in a super 9 mile circuit, passing Cow's Mouth quarry and finishing back at the pub. I took my Mum around that ride when she was 65 and she really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's completely flat, the mud will be frozen solid and you get a great feeling of wilderness as you cruise on easy singletrack around the hill top. You could do it on a road bike with fattish tyres or on a mountain bike.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmm, some possibilities there. Good suggestions from DC & Dan_bo although I am not going to be heading out in the car to ride somewhere 'different' as that will add at least an hour to the endeavour and goes against my why drive when you can cycle ethos, especially when there is not a shortage of stuff I can do on my doorstep (as the two suggestions upthread go to show).
Sorry DC but taking on The Moss is a bit too epic for today, maybe another time :okay:

Don't head south before 11 without ice tyres

Screenshot_20171212-093904.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
No chance - rollers in front of the 2pm episode of Doctors (aka the best kept secret on telly) today. I'm too pretty to take another tumble on ice.

Top Bottom