Can I be bothered and where should I go? Ride my bike today......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a ride to Swadesh, the buffet's from 1 to 3, then home via 57 Thomas Street or Marble Arch.

It's fewer miles than you wanted but, well, y'know, it is cold.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In answer to the question 'can I be bothered?' and contrary to all you nay sayers, I did go out for a ride. In fact it did turn out to be quite 'epic' (stick that in your pipe @DCLane :tongue:) and is probably one of the best spur of the moment MTB rides I have done in a long time :dance:.
Once I had finished dithering this morning, I re-bottled my sloe gin stash after sifting out the fruits (plus a few small glasses, purely to check the results you understand!) and ate one last mince pie before donning the cycle gear and heading out on the old faithful GT Zaskar :notworthy:

Just under 23 miles of hardcore riding on snow, slush, ice, rocks and boggy frozen moorland paths and tracks. It was extreme and at the same time extremely beautiful and I had a grin the whole time.

https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4652607.html

I headed out through the Dingle in Stamford Park where I had to climb the gate at the top of the slippy, twisty path at the top. Then across to Lily lane before heading up The Pike from the Ashton side.

upload_2017-12-12_16-32-36.png

View across Manchester from the top was a bit muggy.

upload_2017-12-12_16-34-13.png

I also had a bit of a chat and joke with a young courting couple I encountered. I said they must be mad to be up there in this weather but he assured me he was just being romantic :smooch:

upload_2017-12-12_16-35-42.png

From here I quickly left Romeo and Juliet in peace and headed down towards Top Mossley and the Billy Goat pub. The view from the fields above the town was nice but I was not alone!

upload_2017-12-12_16-37-36.png

upload_2017-12-12_16-38-17.png

Path down the hill to the pub was fun and not actually too slippy despite the snow and ice. The footpath from Top to Bottom Mossley was more fun as the snow was well trodden and frozen pretty solid but I managed without a fall and also rode down the steep stone steps at the bottom just before passing through the small archway under the railway.
Crossing the valley and climbing the otherside I encountered these hairy chaps in a field on the edge of Buckton Vale village.

upload_2017-12-12_16-42-0.png

Continued in next post to cram more pictures in :okay:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I climbed to the Mooredge road and wound my way round the valley side to Dovestones reservoir.

View from the Moor track back towards The Pike

upload_2017-12-12_16-44-32.png

Near the top end of Dovestones res;

upload_2017-12-12_16-45-39.png

Are we having fun? Yes Siree!

upload_2017-12-12_16-46-46.png

View back across Dovestones from somewhere on the hillside just behind my head in the previous picture....

upload_2017-12-12_16-48-16.png

By this point the sun was starting to drop towards the horizon so it was time to skirt round the rest of the moorland above Greenfield and then drop onto the canal for a pleasant blast along the crunchy towpath all the way home.
A very pleasant ride and I covered a few paths I haven't encountered before which was a refreshing change. Certainly burned a few of the recent excess calories in an enjoyable manner. I am typing this up while my feet finish thawing and now definitely time for a shower as despite being in the house with the heating on the damp clothing is starting to get a bit chilly. I'll be right back......

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I climbed to the Mooredge road and wound my way round the valley side to Dovestones reservoir.

View from the Moor track back towards The Pike

View attachment 387007

Near the top end of Dovestones res;

View attachment 387008

Are we having fun? Yes Siree!

View attachment 387009

View back across Dovestones from somewhere on the hillside just behind my head in the previous picture....

View attachment 387010

By this point the sun was starting to drop towards the horizon so it was time to skirt round the rest of the moorland above Greenfield and then drop onto the canal for a pleasant blast along the crunchy towpath all the way home.
A very pleasant ride and I covered a few paths I haven't encountered before which was a refreshing change. Certainly burned a few of the recent excess calories in an enjoyable manner. I am typing this up while my feet finish thawing and now definitely time for a shower as despite being in the house with the heating on the damp clothing is starting to get a bit chilly. I'll be right back......

Good effort Skol, I managed half an hour in the conservatory on the turbo :okay:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just have to add it was @dan_bo FTW! His suggestion was right on the money and just the inspiration I was needing.
I just hope he is going to reimburse me for the water bottle I lost on HIS ride? If he doesn't want to cough up for it be can always nip out and pick it up for me, I think it is somewhere between Intake lane and Bradbury's lane up near Dovestone......

Also had an interesting diversion around Yeoman Hey reservoir due to the path across the dam being shut for engineering work.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Just have to add it was @dan_bo FTW! His suggestion was right on the money and just the inspiration I was needing.
I just hope he is going to reimburse me for the water bottle I lost on HIS ride? If he doesn't want to cough up for it be can always nip out and pick it up for me, I think it is somewhere between Intake lane and Bradbury's lane up near Dovestone......

Also had an interesting diversion around Yeoman Hey reservoir due to the path across the dam being shut for engineering work.

We'll have a look for it in a few weeks time eh?

Top Bottom