Can I Buy Ready Cut Gear Cables And Covers Online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I want to replace the cables and outer covers on my 25 year old MTB. It has original Shimano SIS thumb levers and Deore derallier for the 6 speed Uniglide cassette and Deore shifter for the 3 Biopace crank cogs.

I understand that cutting the outer covers need special tools. Is there anywhere I can buy the 3 pieces of outer cable cut to length online?

Also, can anyone recommend minimum friction cables and outers that would be suitable for my setup?

Thanks in advance.

JMAG

Über Member
I'm not sure you'll find anywhere that will cut cables to size and if you do, you will have to pay a premium.

For £9 you can buy a decent pair of cable cutters and do the job yourself. www.bamfordtrading.com/products/57768-draper-57768-4857-190mm-wire-rope-or-spring-wire-cutter.html

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

many thanks for your help. I will look at the tool. Presumably it's for the inner cable, not the outer? It's the outers that I believe need careful cutting.

Presumably I need SIS outer. Can I cut this carefully with a junior hacksaw? Also, the outers I have now don't have ferules at the ends where they go into the frame stops. Should I use them with new cables or leave them off?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-S...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3aadec712c

Citius

Go to a real bike shop - there's loads in Bristol. They will cut cables to any length you ask for. Step away from the hacksaw unless you want to fck it up.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
For the ferrules, they are useful as they stop the end of the cable fraying. You can pick them up cheaply either from a LBS or from places like Wilko and Halfords.

Other methods you can use to stop fraying include soldering the cable ends, fixing them with a glue gun and using electrical tape. I've used the tape one before and it worked ok.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
For the ferrules, they are useful as they stop the end of the cable fraying. You can pick them up cheaply either from a LBS or from places like Wilko and Halfords.

Other methods you can use to stop fraying include soldering the cable ends, fixing them with a glue gun and using electrical tape. I've used the tape one before and it worked ok.
You're a little off target there. The ferrules are the "tubes" that go over the end of the cable housing, and allow the inner cable to slide through. Their purpose is to prevent muck getting into the housing and to provide a good solid stop to the end of the housing (essential in indexed gearing or cable operated disc brakes that require minimum compression in the housing). The bits you're referring to are cable end caps. HTH.

Ferrule:
5267.jpg

Cable end cap:
489072.gif

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

I have used tape too, but my bike mechanic's teacher frowns upon this :laugh:

Top Bottom