Can I Buy Ready Cut Gear Cables And Covers Online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A properly soldered cable should pass through a clamp bolt so you can switch components without having to remove one crimp and adding another. :smile:

Otherwise, because I don't carry crimps or pliers in my saddle bag, but I do carry tape, so when I managed to dislodge one on the road I taped it up. Worked fine for the rest of the tour :smile:

2clepto

just let them fray, who cares.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks for all your replies. Some really Heath Robinson ideas out there. As for the QUOTE - "just let them fray, who cares" - like your laid back attitude to cycling/life. :smile:

Keep up the hard work! :okay:

Mobytek

AAARRGGGHHHH, really?

i need to see my therapist after reading some of these..............Cables into ferrule, ferrule onto outer, out of outer into ferrule, into end cap.

cabe cutters do both cables and outers.

One thing no-one has mentioned yet though is that brakes and gears have different cables and different outers.

Brakes designed to take short periods of high pressure, gears to hold sustained pressure. Different sizes, different outers, different ferrules but same end caps......

I like the idea of people doing up old bikes for use - recycling at it's best, but please dont let it be at the detriment of your oen safety as you'd never get to ride it for a second time.

If your LBS wont, speak to a mobile mechanic as you can at least watch them do it, and most will be up for a bit of training you to do stuff for youself.

midlife

Guru
Cut the inner as close as possible to the brakes / mechs, no need to solder or use those crimped things. Saves a couple of grammes too :smile:. Oh hang on, that was 70's TT bikes :smile:

Shaun

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As you are in Bristol why not go the Julian House Bike Workshop at Junction 3, and Damian there is very good and happy to impart his knowledge!

Venod

Eh up
I have never owned a decent pair of cable cutters (must get some) in 50 years of cycling, junior hacksaw, or dremel tool are my current favourites for the outer, the inner cables I use the gap on the outside of a decent set of pliers, not let me down yet. open the pliers lay the cable in the gap close the pliers = one neat cut, (not all pliers have the gap) other brands are available,

KEN5583460K_1.jpg

JMAG

Über Member
I used a dremel until I got the Draper cable cutters. A dremel does the job just fine, but it's a real faff putting on all the safety clothing, sturdy boots, safety goggles etc.

^_^

Top Bottom