Can I convert a SS/Fixed gear bike to a urban/commuter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vb17_val

Hello, I am currently trying to figure out if I can convert my Fuji Declaration into a urban/commuter bike. Reselling isn't really an option for me as I need the bike to get to and from school, so I wanted to slowly convert my bike in order for me to continue using it during the conversion process. My first question is, can I even put more than one gear on it? Second, the frame has a has a horizontal drop out but has no clear area to attach a derailleur hanger. However, there is a small hole with threads on the drop out. If there are no derailleur hangouts that will fit it, then are there any drivetrains that don't require me to install a hanger in order to use the derailleur? Finally if there are no possible solutions, then what are some low cost frames that I can get, used or new, that I can build up on?

OP
OP
vb17_val

vb17_val

IMG_0782.JPG
This is what horizontal drop out looks like

Tim Hall

Hmm, that's a bit of a challenge. The small hole is most likely a mudguard fixing point, especially if there's a matching one on the other side.
You can get rear mechs that attach to the dropout ( the bit the axle sits in) but they're normally used with forward/downward facing droputs, whereas you have rearward facing ones.
You'll also need to consider the spacing between the dropouts. Typically this is greater on a multispeed wheel than a single speed. You can "cold set" (a fancy term for bend) the frame to accept a wider hub but it's a bit of a task.
Hub gears might work, subject to the hub width issue being sorted and you'll need some kind of anti rotation washer to help things stay in place.

As Tim says, it's doable but a bit of a bodge. If you fit a derailleur hanger it will effectively be behind the axle and you'll have to disassemble the whole thing to get the wheel out just to change a tube.

Simplest solution might be hub gears - try eBay for a second hand Sturmey Archer or Shimano Alfine or Nexus, or indeed a whole bike you can cannibalise. I had a bike with the funky SRAM 2-speed automagic gears and a coaster brake for a while and it was ace, and still totally looked like a singlespeed. 'Cold setting' the frame shouldn't be a problem.

Sharky

Guru
I used to ride and race on a Mercian steel track frame with gears. I used a bolt on gear hanger that used to come with RD's, but was unable to bolt it on. I just used the QR of the rear wheel tension to hold it in place.
When I did this, the rear spacing was 120mm and the wheel was 126mm and I could just force it on. I tried years later with a modern rear wheel, but it was too much to force it in.

So without getting the frame modified I don't think it is possible.
Hub gears would fit, but would be a new wheel.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Actually, the easiest solution is to put a triple-ring chain-set on the front (3x1 setup) and find the optimum rear sprocket to use with it

This will only give you three gears though

Tim Hall

Actually, the easiest solution is to put a triple-ring chain-set on the front (3x1 setup) and find the optimum rear sprocket to use with it

You'll need some means of taking care of the change in chain length as you go from one ring to another though.

rrarider

Veteran

That won't work. Without a spring loaded rear derailleur, there will be nothing to take up the slack from the excess chain length, when shifting from a large to a small chain ring.

Sharky

Guru
This was my conversion from a track to geared bike …..

KW_Bikes007 (3).jpg

No braised on fittings, so had to use a lot of black tape and note the plastic saddle. No gel in sight and I rode for miles with it, Tried it again a couple of years ago and it was agony.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Putting gears on is doable but as discussed it’s not going to be that easy! If installing a derailleur and cassette the rear drop out spacing and wheel dishing is going to be the biggest challenge. Good old RJ the Bike Guy has done it so his video might prove illuminating:

View: https://youtu.be/IEL7pLwTZw0

If going that route you might find the cost due to the list of parts needed prohibitive. The simplest and most cost effect way might be to go with a hub gear so all you would need is the hub installed in a wheel plus shifters. Don’t know if there may be issues using a that type of gear with horizontal drop outs.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If going that route you might find the cost due to the list of parts needed prohibitive. The simplest and most cost effect way might be to go with a hub gear so all you would need is the hub installed in a wheel plus shifters. Don’t know if there may be issues using a that type of gear with horizontal drop outs.

There shouldn't be. I've seen quite a few single speeds (included a Virsa like mine) that have hub gears.

Top Bottom