'Can I get?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

darkstar said:
It really cant annoy you that much, can it? If it does, then seek help...

I've been thinking about this.....

..... and yes, I've decided it does annoy me quite a lot....

..... it's just bastardization of the language for no good reason other than people are like sheep and will happily follow any bad linguistic habits merely because they think they sound "cool".

... and to anyone who thinks it's some sort of evolution of language, you're wrong, it's not evolution it's error.

I find it equally, if not more annoying when people use less when they mean fewer. And when people use "of" instead of "have" or "'ve" as in "I should of gone" when it should be "I should have gone" or "I should've gone"

Sloppiness and laziness compounded by ovis-like behaviour!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Debian said:
... and to anyone who thinks it's some sort of evolution of language, you're wrong, it's not evolution it's error.

Sloppiness and laziness QUOTE]

it's not evolution it's error

Did you mean, " it's not evolution(insert comma)it's (insert an) error?

Sloppy, sloppier, sloppiest!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Debian said:

I admire your linguistic jihad, but I suspect that the cause may be lost.

Kids today express themselves in an equally valid, vibrant, fashion. Their language is an ever-developing landscape........ innit........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

{ wakes up with a terrible start}

Oh, it's "ovine" actually.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My standard response to the few people who still answer "Can I get a coffee" when I'm making a brew at work is " Of course you may, you know where the fu**ing kitchen is".

It's a taken a while, but the message is slowly percolating through that it's wrong, and you're not going to get a drink made for you.....

As to "regular" and "standard", the sort of establishment that sells coffee in this way probably only brews a cup fit for the sort of people who don't know the difference anyway ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
"Can I get?" is wrong anyway - it should be "may I get?"

There's somebody on here who keeps writing gotten for got - another Americanism.

The abandonment of "has" annoys me too - instead of "somebody has just arrived" people say "somebody just arrived" - no doubt some clever clogs can tell me which tense this is because I can't remember my English grammar.

darkstar

Debian said:
I've been thinking about this.....

..... and yes, I've decided it does annoy me quite a lot....

..... it's just bastardization of the language for no good reason other than people are like sheep and will happily follow any bad linguistic habits merely because they think they sound "cool".

I find it equally, if not more annoying when people use less when they mean fewer. And when people use "of" instead of "have" or "'ve" as in "I should of gone" when it should be "I should have gone" or "I should've gone"

Hmm notice you use the American method of spelling 'bastardisation', which is interesting. Why's that?

But seriously, getting wound up and annoyed by people misusing the English language is ridiculous, people have been doing it for centuries, nothing new here. Go and find something else to speand your time time thinking about...;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Debian said:

But isn't evolution the result of genetic errors that favour the survival of the mutants?

Debian said:
Now that I'm sober...... you could all be right I suppose... :ohmy:

;)

Too much Mangers

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dave Davenport said:
Example: At the bar; 'can I get a gin and tonic?'

If I was the bar person asked this, the answer would be along the lines of 'well this would be a pretty rubbish pub if we couldn't manage a g&t and it's ok I'll get it for you, it will be easier from this side of the bar and besides, it's my job and the landlord doesn't like the customers helping themselves anyway'.

Why are people using this stupid phrase FFS!

Because they're not all barmy literalists and grammar nazis, and they have an an inbuilt capacity to use language effectively that entirely bypasses the faux-logic of your argument? Don't thank me...

Globalti said:
There's somebody on here who keeps writing gotten for got - another Americanism.

While the supposed Americanisation of our culture and language annoys me too, "gotten" is not an example of it. It doesn't mean "got"; instead, it bears the same relationship to "got" as "forgotten" does to "forgot". And "gotten" was in use in Britain long before America was invented.

ASC1951

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
While the supposed Americanisation of our culture and language annoys me too, "gotten" is not an example of it. It doesn't mean "got"; instead, it bears the same relationship to "got" as "forgotten" does to "forgot". And "gotten" was in use in Britain long before America was invented.
Quite so. A lot of the Americanism we object to so violently are English usages from the 17th Century which they took with them: not doubling a final consonant in verbs and verb-nouns, for instance.

And it's not just Americans who say "I'll take" when ordering from a menu. So do the French and, I think, Germans and Italians.

siadwell

Guru
Debian said:
I find it equally, if not more annoying when people use less when they mean fewer.

This from the BBC website:

Chris Keates, general secretary of the NASUWT teaching union, said she had "no doubt" Mr Gove's decision would be welcomed by teachers.
"I have frequently said that if the GTCE was abolished tomorrow, few would notice and even less would care," she said.
And she's a teacher!

Top Bottom