Can I increase the reach on this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
So I built a bike from a frame that I bought from @biggs682 with the help of the mechanics at the bike recycling charity where I volunteer. It looks very pretty.

But it's too small for me :sad: It's uncomfortable to ride because the reach is too short and it puts pressure on my wrists. So I want to try to get the bars further forward. The plan was to take it back to the charity workshop & they'd help me figure something out using all their spare parts.

But, we're in lockdown and I can't go to the workshop. So I might have a go at sorting it myself if someone can help me find the right part. I think I need to add a couple of inches to the reach - based on comparing it with my other bike.

Here are some pics of the setup & I can take more if anything's not clear.

Thanks!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is it height or length of reach you're after?

You can fit a riser stem and/or a longer stem. That's measured from the centre bolt of the top cap through to the point where they bolt together.

It looks like you've got quite an angled stem but about a 100mm one (my guess) - you can go up to 130/140mm.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@annedonnelly I almost forgot about that Galaxy frame . I think I would be tempted to lift the A Head converter up as much as possible then try to work out what length of stem you need.

You could also just try sliding the saddle back a bit as it looks well forward .

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A longer stem is what you need. Anything is possible within reason, the hard part is to decide what you want. I recently got one of these for the tandem - for height more than reach in my case.
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/b...rab-2-stem-a-head-o31-8mm-165mm-black-642788/

They go as long as 165mm, yours looks to be only 90mm currently (I think the standard measurement is centre to centre) so you have plenty to go at.

I have an adjustable going spare which I bought to test out what I wanted which you're welcome to if you can collect S Mancs - I think 130mm length, adjustable height.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/xtreme-pro-adjustable-stem-for-o254mm-143296?product_shape=black

Mfezela

. . . It's uncomfortable to ride because the reach is too short and it puts pressure on my wrists. . . . . I think I need to add a couple of inches to the reach - based on comparing it with my other bike.

An increase in reach is likely to mean more pressure on your wrists, not less. At the moment you must be sitting fairly upright if, as you say, this bike is too small. If you increase saddle to bar distance that means your arms will be supporting more of your upper body mass.

If your saddle is at its correct height in the first photo, I'd be tempted to try inverting the stem, i.e. sloping it downwards, as a first step. That will change your upper body posture. If it makes the situation worse, I don't think increasing reach is the solution.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
What leads you to the conclusion that you need more reach?

Might there be other possible causes of your discomfort?

I ask because there are quite a few things that could result in wrist pain.

Maybe a few photos of you on the bike might allow some people here to advise.

Lovely bike!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Try placing your elbow against the nose of the saddle, and see where your grip falls on the handlebars. From the height of the saddle, I would wonder that the cause of wrist pain may be something else other than reach, but I could be mistaken. If you need to raise the saddle, this will also move your position back from the handlebars. Also, from what I see in illustrations on the internet, it appears these bicycles may have been designed for drop bars, which would have more reach.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks everyone. I'll have a play with the saddle first - though the one that's on was only temporary to get it rideable.

Yes, it should have drop bars, but I don't do drops. So I either have to make it work like this or it'll make a very nice ornament for the living room wall :laugh:

Top Bottom