Can i kill my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

By doing about 10 miles a day along canal paths?

Nothing too rough but much bumpier than the road, i am riding a spesh allez with 25mm tyres on. Am i damaging my bike?

Dont want to as its my best.

Thanks andy

Bumps will kill your rims, fit fatter tyres. Grit will kill your tranny, fit mudgourds and keep your chain clean. You can't kill your actual bike, just some of its parts.

gbb

Legendary Member
andyfromotley said:
By doing about 10 miles a day along canal paths?

Nothing too rough but much bumpier than the road, i am riding a spesh allez with 25mm tyres on. Am i damaging my bike?

Dont want to as its my best.

Thanks andy

I've spent a little time thinking about this lately Andy....and i think you definately can damage your bike ..permanently.

I have a Via Nirone. I'm not averse to going up occasional cinder tracks, a bit of rough once in a while. Not too much, just a mile at a time as a shortcut...

A few weeks ago, my frame cracked at the BB / downtube junction.
At the time i just assumed it was fate, but when i got the new frame, you understand when you hold it on its own, how light it is...REALLY light. The tubes are thin...not too thin, but you realise they're just not made for roughing it.

I will absolutely minimise my track rides on it in future.

Tynan

Veteran
I've cut out the four ish miles I ws doing down down the Lea Valley tow path on my old hybrid now I got a nice road bike, shop man said no problem but the regular road is rough enough I reckons

Trillian

to get to my gf's house I normally ride at about 10mph across a field and my bike seems fine.

i did manage to get a bit of air the other day on one of the bumps
[scampers off to check his wheels are straight]

skwerl

gbb said:
I've spent a little time thinking about this lately Andy....and i think you definately can damage your bike ..permanently.

I have a Via Nirone. I'm not averse to going up occasional cinder tracks, a bit of rough once in a while. Not too much, just a mile at a time as a shortcut...

A few weeks ago, my frame cracked at the BB / downtube junction.
At the time i just assumed it was fate, but when i got the new frame, you understand when you hold it on its own, how light it is...REALLY light. The tubes are thin...not too thin, but you realise they're just not made for roughing it.

I will absolutely minimise my track rides on it in future.

How do you explain cyclo-cross bikes then?

You have one frame crack and assume it's down to using it on tracks. What if you had a frame crack whilst cycling on the road? Where would your assumption take you then. n=1 is not a big enough sample set to draw any conclusions.

postman

Legendary Member
Andy go and get a front suspension bike.That is the reason i bought the Giant Rincon.We started to ride Kirkstall to Five Rise locks,and finally to Skipton basin.I did it on my Galaxy.I got shook to bits.And i was worried about the bike.Would not do the canal again till i bought the off roader.The ride is so different just flows over the ground.

gbb

Legendary Member
skwerl said:
How do you explain cyclo-cross bikes then?

You have one frame crack and assume it's down to using it on tracks. What if you had a frame crack whilst cycling on the road? Where would your assumption take you then. n=1 is not a big enough sample set to draw any conclusions.

I dont assume anything skwerl....:wacko:
A via nirone and a cyclocross are two completely different animals. A cycocross is deliberately made to take punishment...a nirone definately isnt, (otherwise it's be marketed as a cyclocross bike).

I made the point about the frame because most of us pick up an assembled bike. It feels solid. Pick up a bare frame.....you soon realise how heavy all the components are, that's what gives it its solid feel.
It genuinely surprised me how light the tubing was.
The LBS were (hopefully) genuinely surprised the frame had gone...the first Nirone they'd seen do that.
I'm not a big guy, 10.5 to 11 stone, so it's not me that killed it.
Its been a purely summer bike until this last winter, so it's not really been exposed to corrosive elements.

Of course, it could have been a poor weld, but i woudnt have thought it likely with todays high tech welding and manufacturing processes.

I do like to honk up hills...that puts a lot of stresses through the bars and through the cranks...perhaps thats a factor.

What i do know is, although as stated i dont do it that often, i'm not averse to going onto tracks....something i would guess most road bike users dont do. It's reasonable to assume this could have been a factor.

Keith Oates

Janner
That is a tough race Mickle, but those bikes are checked out after every race I would say and probably turned out to pasture after one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trillian

postman said:
Andy go and get a front suspension bike.That is the reason i bought the Giant Rincon.We started to ride Kirkstall to Five Rise locks,and finally to Skipton basin.I did it on my Galaxy.I got shook to bits.And i was worried about the bike.Would not do the canal again till i bought the off roader.The ride is so different just flows over the ground.

personally I'm more than happy to ride off road for most of the day without suspension so would say that it's not really needed for a commute even on fire roads.

theres a method of flowing with the bike, if i knew how to explain how to do it then my gf would be speeding off from me round cannock chase.

Top Bottom