Can i kill my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keith Oates said:
That is a tough race Mickle, but those bikes are checked out after every race I would say and probably turned out to pasture after one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely right Keith but they do survive the race despite all those cobbles and the energy transmitted through the frame by pro racers. A ride along a canal tow path doesn't come close.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mickle, surely you are best placed to know how likely a roadbike frame failure is. Do you see many with modern bikes. Is it due to 'abuse' or manufacturing weaknesses. I assume you must get feedback from manufacturers / importers.
Does anyone know how often modern roadbike frames fail ?

skwerl

gbb said:
I dont assume anything skwerl....:angry:
A via nirone and a cyclocross are two completely different animals. A cycocross is deliberately made to take punishment...a nirone definately isnt, (otherwise it's be marketed as a cyclocross bike).

Not sure I agree really. cross frames aren't made deliberately stronger, they just tend to have wider clearances and bosses for canti brakes - hence the reason a Nirone isn't branded a cross bike.
Generally, strength in type specific bikes comes from areas like rims, spoke-count, hubs etc. Frames don't tend to vary much at all. The variations are usually down to cost and requirement (eg stiff, comfortable, etc)

gbb said:
Mickle, surely you are best placed to know how likely a roadbike frame failure is. Do you see many with modern bikes. Is it due to 'abuse' or manufacturing weaknesses. I assume you must get feedback from manufacturers / importers.
Does anyone know how often modern roadbike frames fail ?

Actually, with the migration away from steel to Alu and carbon frame failures have become much less common (it's dead easy to overheat a steel joint and weaken the tube during the manufacturing process). I think the move to more exotic materials has forced quality assurance managers to raise their game. The bottom line is; unless a bike has been crashed or very badly abused any failure must be a result of poor design or manufacture (at least while it's still covered by warranty!). The never-ending quest for lighter and lighter frames has caused some problems over the years, one famous US brand had frame returns from failures at 20% (!!!) ten years ago. It's a wonder they survived, well they very nearly didn't survive but their appalling failure rate was never officially mentioned as one of the reasons. Clearly their ability to make light frames couldn't keep pace with their ability to design them.

I've ridden a 1937 lightweight road frame over some pretty rugged terrain with no worries about it's ability to survive. Mashed a wheel up pretty badly too.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I don't think canal tow-paths put much stress on a bike. I cycle one every day, and if anything it's less stress on the bike as it's a soft surface and no bumpier than the average crappy London road surface.

Ben

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

i may have overplayed the state of the canal path it's not too bad, but it is made of grit and dust, worried it'll turn my bb and bearings to some kind of grinding pasty hell........?

andy

gbb

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Actually, with the migration away from steel to Alu and carbon frame failures have become much less common (it's dead easy to overheat a steel joint and weaken the tube during the manufacturing process). I think the move to more exotic materials has forced quality assurance managers to raise their game. The bottom line is; unless a bike has been crashed or very badly abused any failure must be a result of poor design or manufacture (at least while it's still covered by warranty!). The never-ending quest for lighter and lighter frames has caused some problems over the years, one famous US brand had frame returns from failures at 20% (!!!) ten years ago. It's a wonder they survived, well they very nearly didn't survive but their appalling failure rate was never officially mentioned as one of the reasons. Clearly their ability to make light frames couldn't keep pace with their ability to design them.

I've ridden a 1937 lightweight road frame over some pretty rugged terrain with no worries about it's ability to survive. Mashed a wheel up pretty badly too.

Well, it's nice to put that one to bed anyway..
On the grounds mine was never crashed and certainy not badly abused (every other component is original, working and in good condition, especially the wheels)...poor manufacturing would probably be the cause.

gbb

Legendary Member
andyfromotley said:
i may have overplayed the state of the canal path it's not too bad, but it is made of grit and dust, worried it'll turn my bb and bearings to some kind of grinding pasty hell........?

andy

On the grounds that my mind is settled now with Mickles analysis..i'd say carry on andy.
One of my 'off road' patches sounds similar, a cinder track basically. Bearing in mind (scuse the unwitting pun), the BB bearings are sealed to a degree, i wouldnt worry on that score either. A BB is cheapish to buy and easy to replace, even if you did cream cracker one. (i am assuming on a Spesh Allez its not going to be anything exotic)

Grit just can't get into a modern sealed BB, it's old age which kills them. Misaligned bearings caused by a poorly prepared shell can accelerate the process though. The only other common cause in open BB shells is the presence of water which has entered through the seat-tube or an open bottle cage boss. The internal seals aren't as effective as the outer seals and it'll eventually find its way into the bearings. It's a bit worying having rusty water pish out of your seat tube when you turn the bike upside down. Especially if its aluminium.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Ok Update... used my decent roadbike to commute 3 times last week and went the tow path way each time, so thats 60 mile of tow path. Bike is definitely covered in crap (and its been dry) and on friday felt a slight bump on the rear wheel (with each revolution) a quick examination showed a big bulge in my rear tyre. Made it home no prob.

So i conclude that yes i probably could use my road bike for this journey, but it will be much dirtier and will put more stress and strain upon it.

So will stick to the road untill i can hook up with mickle and sort out a spare bike i have to make it suitable for a longish commute.

interesting discussion as ever thanks guys

andy

Top Bottom