Can I mix and match a group set?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's interesting, I didn't know 10 speed derailleurs moved a different distance for a given amount of cable pull. Is that true for sram as well as shimano? If I ever venture past 8 speed I'll have to remember that, I am an inveterate mix & matcher!

That's why all our bikes have 8 speed: I can swap everything...

Except now Elder Son wants a 29" wheeled Enduro with (I think) an 11 speed cassette

bladderhead

I have a XX1 11speed cog. I got a pair of bar-end shifters. The cog one was 10sp indexing and the chainwheel one was friction, but could only rotate through a right angle. I took them to bits and combined them to achieve a bar-end friction-shifter. It still did not quite pull enough cable so I added a Jtek Shiftmate. Genius device. The only disadvantage is that the cable is so tightly wound round that it wears out. This has hapenned once to me. It snaps one strand at a time, so you have fair warning.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That's interesting, I didn't know 10 speed derailleurs moved a different distance for a given amount of cable pull. Is that true for sram as well as shimano? If I ever venture past 8 speed I'll have to remember that, I am an inveterate mix & matcher!

Just sticking with Shimano. The road rear derailleurs were the same as the MTB ones up to 9sp, but 10sp road shifters did not change like mtb ones, so you could use a 10sp shifter with a 9sp mtb rear mech which is great for tourers.

11sp was different to anything else so not backwards compatible, and just to be a pain Tiagra 4700 is an oddball. It's 10sp but comparable with the 11sp stuff, not the other 10sp and lower stuff :crazy:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OTOH, I don t think i could mix up the visuals. The black front and silver rear wheels on the Trek bothers me a bit...
My best bike... :whistle:

CAAD5 seat post extension.jpg

Top Bottom