Can I put an 8 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a winter bike with Shimano 8 speed cassette and STI levers. I now have a pair of good quality spare wheels off another bike. The rear wheel has a 10 speed freehub. Can I put an 8 speed cassette onto a 10 speed hub? Does it need spacers?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Don't think so. I run 8 and 9 speed setups on pretty new wheelsets, I think 10 speed needs a spacer 'cos the cassettes are a tad thinner, not 8 & 9.

mr-marty-martin

will go on but you will have to add more spacers on the inside, or outside of the cassette

then its a case of getting the gears set up right i suppose as this may be a problem

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
thanks, I know it will "go on" but I am thinking about spacing etc. I am sure someone knows the answer..... Sheldon has lots of stuff but I cannot understand it 100%

mr-marty-martin said:
will go on but you will have to add more spacers on the inside, or outside of the cassette

No you won't - you will have to remove a spacer, as palinurus says.

A few years ago, Shimano made a small number of wheels which were 10sp only : a few Ultegra & Dura Ace wheels with an aluminium freehub - 105, Tiagra, current Ultegra & DA, anything Shimano with a steel or titanium freehub are fine.
There are also some aftermarket Shimano-10sp-only wheels, but they're fairly unusual, the vast majority of Shimano-fit wheels are 8/9/10sp-compatible.

A 10sp cassette is narrower than 9sp or 8sp, so it's 10sp which needs the spacer.

When you remove your 10sp cassette, you should find a thin spacer (aka big washer about 1.something mm thick) behind it.
Take that off and put your 8sp cassette on without it.

If you're lucky, depending quite how the axle is spaced, you may find your rear mech is correctly adjusted and you can just swap-in the wheel without any adjustment.
If not lucky, should just be a few turns of the adjuster and maybe the top or bottom limit screws.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
That sounds good. The wheel is an Easton Circuit and has had a 10 speed on it and indeed has had a spacer. I will have a go and see how it is.

Having said all that, having just switched from my new Ultegra summer bike to the 2200 STI levered 8 speed winter bike, I am feeling the difference in quality of gear change and quite tempted to lash out for a posh groupset on the winter bike too! That will give me a cheapish alloy frame with carbon fork, space for mudguards and a rack and great kit too....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
andy_wrx said:
No you won't - you will have to remove a spacer, as palinurus says.

A few years ago, Shimano made a small number of wheels which were 10sp only : a few Ultegra & Dura Ace wheels with an aluminium freehub - 105, Tiagra, current Ultegra & DA, anything Shimano with a steel or titanium freehub are fine.
There are also some aftermarket Shimano-10sp-only wheels, but they're fairly unusual, the vast majority of Shimano-fit wheels are 8/9/10sp-compatible.

A 10sp cassette is narrower than 9sp or 8sp, so it's 10sp which needs the spacer.

When you remove your 10sp cassette, you should find a thin spacer (aka big washer about 1.something mm thick) behind it.
Take that off and put your 8sp cassette on without it.

If you're lucky, depending quite how the axle is spaced, you may find your rear mech is correctly adjusted and you can just swap-in the wheel without any adjustment.
If not lucky, should just be a few turns of the adjuster and maybe the top or bottom limit screws.

Thanks, that was useful- I was never quite sure what the story was with Shimano compatability.

Top Bottom