Can I replace my 105 5700 10 speed front mech with 105 FD-R7000 11 speed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
IIRC the chainring spacing is wider on the R7000 crankset s you may run into issues. Also it has a different cable setup; which may or may not have a different pull ratio and/or necessary cable length. The newer style of FD was introduced to 105 during the last series with the FD5801 replacing the FD5800.. these were evidently compatible with the same (5800 series) shifters if this tells you anything.

the snail

Guru
It won't work - the cable pull changed for 11 speed 105, ultegra and 4700 tiagra. 4600 tiagra should be ok, and you might be ok with a 9 speed fd

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It won't work - the cable pull changed for 11 speed 105, ultegra and 4700 tiagra. 4600 tiagra should be ok, and you might be ok with a 9 speed fd
Does the front derailleur pull the cable?

Ajax Bay

Guru
My 10speed front mech is on its last legs, but I cannot find a replacement with a 34.9mm band. Will the 11sp 105 work?
What are the symptoms which lead you to assess that the current FD "is on its last legs"? My experience is that poor FD performance is nearly always down to the the STI being on its last legs.
Aside from incompatibility, to solve the suggested issue, I'd recommend the OP considers a band-on braze-on converter and then obtains a (compatible) braze-on FD.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAZE-ON...PTER-CLAMP-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling/164273677178?
Money off, maybe (£10 min order): YUKRIFFJ5KZBFQM
Lots available from multiple sites.
1601808681743.png

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I have just picked up a mint Ultegra 6600 10 speed front mech off eBay for £15 delivered.

I would suggest a braze on, with a band adaptor.

Edit I missed the post above, but that's what I would also suggest.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can we frame it on the wall?
front indexed shifting is bollox. How is it an improvement on friction?
You can do anything on the wall you like, as the song involving the milkman roughly goes.
I don't see anyone suggesting that indexed FD shift levers are an improvement, on this thread anyway. And in terms of cable pull 'control', friction offers seamless 'full spectrum'. But positioning the gear levers (let's leave electronic for now) is better ergonomically on the drops (as opposed to the down tube and arguably better than bar end levers). If you want friction control for your FD, fit bar ends or go 'Lance'.

Top Bottom