Can I "soften" my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I built a winter hack, mostly out of free parts that I was given or from my parts boxes, that has become just my hack because I like it so much.
However when riding over 20 miles it starts to feel harsh.
The frame n forks are Ridgeback Velocity an aluminium frame with wishbone rear end and steel forks.
Wheels are 32 spoke with Mavic MA3 rims
Tyres, front - Michelin World Tour 35mm @ 60psi (all that was available mid Sunday morning in rural Normandie after the bead broke on a 'better' touring tyre)
Rear - Schwalbe Marathon 35mm @ 70psi
Seatpost n stem are no name budget items
Bars are branded Genesis

So whats the best way to smooth the ride and any good budget ideas?

Drago

Legendary Member
Try something other than the Marathon on the rear.

zacklaws

Guru
With your tyre pressures of 60psi front and 70psi back on 35mm tyres....that should be a very soft ride to start with. Perhaps theirs something else amiss.......steel forks or the aluminium frame or the combination of the two?
Recomended tyre pressure for a 35mm tyre according to Swalbe is 65psi, so your close but may be worth reducing it, not sure without looking at mine what minimum pressure is:-

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/inflation_pressure

In what way is it "Harsh"? shuddering, shaking, vibrations, bouncing about, sore backside etc

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Suntour make a really good shock absorbing seat post that is similar to the much more expensive Thudbuster made by Cane Creek. The early Suntour models were not overly robust - but worked really well. The newer ones have definitely improved. Not overly cheap - but it is an option.

sreten

Hi,

At 11st I'd be trying about 45 - 55psi rear and 37 - 45psi front with 35mm tyres.

YMMV as best tyre pressures is related to how bad the roads are.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW your best pressures on a racing road bike 23mm types are about
your weight in kg in psi moreorless, suggests your tyres are too hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom