Can I swap these two braking systems ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stompier

Can anyone point me in the direction on some good info on how to set them up correctly ?
As I said earlier, you could start by shortening the straddle wire, by a lot.

C R

Guru
Thanks everyone for the info,much appreciated. I have been off the bike for a while now having had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia a few years back and suffering a lot of ongoing pain. But knowing how much I used to enjoy the bikes I am Keen to have a go of at least commuting to work. The 90's Raleigh was brought a while back and I did commute a few times on it. What I have noticed is that the brakes do not meet the wheel flat and are at a bit of a angle so there would be room for improvement there. The brake blocks were the spares for the other bike and I wondered if the two types of brakes use slightly different blocks ? I will at first try and tune what I already have and see if I can get an improvement, all the cables could do with replacing. Can anyone point me in the direction on some good info on how to set them up correctly ? If this fails I will go the v brake route. The levers and gear changers are seperate on both bikes.
Do you mean that you used blocks from a bike with Vs to replace the blocks in the bike with cantis? That might explain the blocks not meeting the wheel at the right angle. V blocks and canti blocks have somewhat different mounting fittings.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
When I first had the bike one brake block was missing and another cracked at the one end so to make the thing usable I used the v brake blocks. I cannot at this point until new cables come shorted the straddle wire as the standard cable is too short to allow this, I have highered the bars to suit and this has shortened the cable as the stem is used as a cable stop. I would like to if possible use the original equipment fitted to the bike but if all fails I can swap the brakes from the more modern bike which work extremely well. I have looked at a few vids on Youtube and have learnt something that I never knew but always wondered why and that is the fact that the dished washers/spacers are there to allow for some adjustment to how the blocks meet the wheel ! Just shows in 30+ years of riding bikes I still have something to learn.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: C R

simon.r

Person
Thanks everyone for the info,much appreciated. I have been off the bike for a while now having had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia a few years back and suffering a lot of ongoing pain. But knowing how much I used to enjoy the bikes I am Keen to have a go of at least commuting to work. The 90's Raleigh was brought a while back and I did commute a few times on it. What I have noticed is that the brakes do not meet the wheel flat and are at a bit of a angle so there would be room for improvement there. The brake blocks were the spares for the other bike and I wondered if the two types of brakes use slightly different blocks ? I will at first try and tune what I already have and see if I can get an improvement, all the cables could do with replacing. Can anyone point me in the direction on some good info on how to set them up correctly ? If this fails I will go the v brake route. The levers and gear changers are seperate on both bikes.

Always worth looking at the late great Sheldon Brown’s site for answers to these sort of slightly unusual questions and more often than not a bit of theory to back up his position:

Cantilever (which includes V) brakes explained: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

Setting up traditional cantis: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

Setting up V brakes: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I got some from a local bike shop (blocks that is) I got 10 cables and a couple of straddle cables for less than they were charging for just two brake cables using good old ebay.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
O.k I fitted the correct brake blocks and shortened the straddle cables ( I had to remove the reflectors) and cleaned up the wheels there was a slight improvement but they were still pretty naff so I decided to go the V brake route using the V brakes and levers from the other bike. I used new inner and outer cables and wow there is such an improvement that I now have another problem, they are that good that with the 90's frame geometry I will have to be really careful that I don't go over the bars ! I also realized I didn't have an end for the inner cables so went the route in the photo !

1.jpg

Top Bottom