Can I swap these two braking systems ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an old 90's MTB which I would like to use but the brakes are pretty rubbish compared to my old commuter, today I noticed that the two braking systems both pivot on frame bosses but are activated slightly differently at a quick look it appears as if I could use the newer system on the older bike am I right ?

90's bike

1bike.jpg

later bike

2bike.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can, but you'll need new levers.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can, but you may need new levers.

Theres something like an 18% pull ratio difference, so unless you are especially skilled at setting up brakes, or unless your levers are designed with the movable cable stop to accommodate either, then new levers are liable be required as well.

I've clean those rims and fit some decent pads. Also your straddle cable is far too long and in terrible condition, needs to be shorter with the apex much lower down. Poor set up is the cause of your current woes, and new brakes won't help if they're also set up to the same standard. Fix what you have.

Stompier

The length of the straddle wire makes a big difference to performance on cantilever brakes, and the wire in that pic looks particularly long. Shortening it would almost certainly improve things without needing to switch brake types. But v-brakes tend to perform a lot better in general.

If the bike is going to get some serious use, and particularly if carrying loads, I'd be inclined to fit Vs, as in the second bike.

Am not a great fan of cantis for anything other than light duty around town or day ride rides.

I have converted 2 (about to be 3) 90s hybrids that came with cantis to Vs.

I did the first conversion after being alarmed by a descent with a full touring load.

If I can do it I reckon anyone can.

My newer posher Hewitt has cantis, supposedly better new improved versions of cantis, and they recently gave me a serious fright in the Yorkshire Dales when only loaded for a day ride.

Canti's are still pant's. My 'low profile' XT's with Kool Stop Salmons don't stop very quickly. I can't make them any better.
Tend to agree.
The Hewitt's were set up by Hewitts who give every indication of knowing what they are doing.
So I can't see them being improved.
In truth am a bit peeved that since I told Hewitts what I wanted to use the bike for they didn't recommend Vs.
I'd be seriously concerned about using that bike for a loaded camping tour.

And if it helps the OP make the decision I have the impression that all Shimano V brake levers and brakes are functionally pretty much the same. So you can just go for something humble but decent like Alivio.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just to show an alternative view, I'm nearly 19 stone and know how to set canti's up properly - I don't have a problem getting them to perform very well when hauling up my lardy rippled torso.

C R

Guru
The swap you are proposing should work without problems. Best bet is to buy a full set, levers and brakes. I changed the cantilever ones in my 90s bike for Vs after breaking one of the levers, and haven't looked back.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks everyone for the info,much appreciated. I have been off the bike for a while now having had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia a few years back and suffering a lot of ongoing pain. But knowing how much I used to enjoy the bikes I am Keen to have a go of at least commuting to work. The 90's Raleigh was brought a while back and I did commute a few times on it. What I have noticed is that the brakes do not meet the wheel flat and are at a bit of a angle so there would be room for improvement there. The brake blocks were the spares for the other bike and I wondered if the two types of brakes use slightly different blocks ? I will at first try and tune what I already have and see if I can get an improvement, all the cables could do with replacing. Can anyone point me in the direction on some good info on how to set them up correctly ? If this fails I will go the v brake route. The levers and gear changers are seperate on both bikes.

Top Bottom