Rear wheel swap / brakes matching issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mtonga

Hey Everyone

I believe that may be very basic question but I'm struggling to start fixing my bike, my rear wheel broke so I've got a new one.
Looks like it does not has pins to swap my discs brakes.. Is there any adapter for that ? Don't want to end up buying another part which I may not be able to use. I'm also considering swapping the brakes for V/U Shape since the one I have are not really great..

Any advice how to move on ?

20231008_124942.jpg

20231008_125009.jpg

20231008_125135.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
thats a rim brake wheel , you cant buy an adapter i would say as the rear hub spacing will be different too .

cyberknight

But

But new wheel I've got does not have disc mounting is in it ? ( 1st picture )

nope , i think you bought the wrong wheel.If you bought it from a shop can you take it back or sell it on for the correct wheel? as i said its liable to have 130 mm hub spacing whereas disc wheels tend to have wider hubs , my commuter has 135 mm hub width with quick release , other standards are about with 142 mm being popular .
try the wheel in the frame i reckon it will be too narrow to sit in the dropouts properly

1696768417440.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Return the wheel and get a disc braked rear wheel. Your old wheel looks like a 6 bolt rear disc wheel. Personally I prefer centre lock disc brake wheels as I’ve rounded the bolts before with 6 bolt. But if you want to reuse the rotor then you want a 6 bolt disc rear wheel. Make sure it’s designed for same speed as your old wheel as well. You’ll need a torx screw driver to move the rotor over, I think torx T25 but don’t quote me on that. Loctite blue thread lock on the bolts.

cyberknight

Return the wheel and get a disc braked rear wheel. Your old wheel looks like a 6 bolt rear disc wheel. Personally I prefer centre lock disc brake wheels as I’ve rounded the bolts before with 6 bolt. But if you want to reuse the rotor then you want a 6 bolt disc rear wheel. Make sure it’s designed for same speed as your old wheel as well. You’ll need a torx screw driver to move the rotor over, I think torx T25 but don’t quote me on that. Loctite blue thread lock on the bolts.

mines 6 bolt and tbh its one of the few things i let the LBS do as i cant get em off either

Big John

Guru
Providing you've not marked the new wheel, and providing the shop has an appropriate replacement disk brake rear wheel, they should be happy to swap wheels for whatever the difference in price is. I'm pretty sure Ming is right in that the torx key is a T25 but get a decent torx key, e.g. a T bar one, that'll have the whoomph to tighten the bolts properly. Daft question but how did the previous wheel 'break'? If you still have it then salvage what you can from it....rim tape, spokes, hub, spoke nipples, rim...whatever is undamaged. This is how you build up your stock of 'bits' for future repairs.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Big John Not a "daft question but how did the previous wheel 'break'?
Is it just a broken spoke?
10speed?

richardfm

Veteran
You could take the old wheel to the bike shop when ho to return the "wrong" wheel and ask them to swap the rotor to the new wheel.

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
A broken spoke so you bought another wheel? Cost of a new wheel = godzillions, cost of a new spoke (and a five minute viewing of how to replace a broken spoke on Youtube) = peanuts by comparison. Add 'spoke key' to your list of tools to get 👍

OP
OP
mtonga

mtonga

I have few spokes missing, plus whole hub ? the middle thingy it's all failed, moving and falling apart, unfortunately I'm on that stage with bikes when was looking easier to get a new one.. I'm trying to get a replacement/refund, let's see what comes out

OP
OP
mtonga

mtonga

Wheel send out, watched few videos, may give a it a shot to replace spores and bearings, I saw there are calculators for spores, any advice on brand to get new parts ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd start by reading Sheldon
Take the tyre off the wheel (if not already). Remove the rim tape. See how the spoke nipple unscrews. Measure the nipple flat/flat distance and its length (nipple sizes vary). Remove an unbroken spoke on each side (lengths will be different left and right on your rear wheel) that you have a broken spoke.
Take the wheel and the two unbroken spoke(s) to LBS and procure replacement spokes, and also rim tape and a spoke key.
Back at the wheel replace good spokes, replace broken spokes; tighten till, when plucked they sound the same as a neighbour you haven't touched.
Then trueing fun: Sheldon Brown's piece. and videos: install wheel in dropouts without chain on (bike upside down) for that.
Good enough is best. Ride on.

Top Bottom