Rear wheel wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
Wow thank you Ajax Bay for the step by step guide. Seems fairly straight forward enough to follow that walkthrough.Think I'll give it a shot and see how i get on and if it fails, take it to LBS.

Just for clarification, can the cassette and disc rotor remain on the wheel whilst i service the bearings or do I have to remove it in order to proceed?

Thank you

You need to remove the cassette.
Have a look at this
https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

Cycleops

Legendary Member
....So you'll need a chain whip and a cassette removal tool.

OP
OP
S

sambo241

Regular
That's a fantastic tool kit and price cyberknight, thank you very much for the heads up. I. Shall invest!

As I don't have the tools currently nor the experience, I have reluctantly booked in with Halfords. We shall see how that goes!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's a fantastic tool kit and price cyberknight, thank you very much for the heads up. I. Shall invest!

As I don't have the tools currently nor the experience, I have reluctantly booked in with Halfords. We shall see how that goes!

some are ok, my local one is pretty good , TBH a LBS near me i would never recommend as they made a right bodge job on 2 of my bikes including losing the BB pre load washer , leaving the crank not tight enough so it creaked and changing the size of the chain ring without telling me

Ajax Bay

Guru
Seeing as it's a modern bike I'd think it has cartridge bearings. No special tools needed but you'll need a large Allen key to remove the freehub:
@Cycleops posted this on Thursday, before we'd established what sort of bearings they were, which was immediately apparent when the OP posted the images shortly after (over 72 hours ago)
Unless Shimano or similar copy....
What value are you adding to this thread, @Jameshow ? The hubs are cup and cone. @Cycleops (and my) guess was that, given bike's age (Boardman HYB 8.6 commuter), the hub would have cartridge bearings in, in an effort to answer the OP's request for 'what tools'.

OP
OP
S

sambo241

Regular
Quick update:

Received the wheel back. As assumed, the wheel bearings were the culprit. The chap at Halfords said it was full of water and had corroded the bearings. They've cleaned and repacked with grease and so far seems rigid like it should be.

Ajax Bay

Guru
. . Halfords said [hub] was full of water and had corroded the bearings. They've cleaned and repacked with grease and so far seems rigid like it should be.
Had you ridden through a long ford or a flooded road a while ago?
This can be the result: the seals should keep 'normal' water out but any period in water more than 18" deep are likely to result in this (and water in BB as well and in chainstays maybe).
I have ridden through deep water just the once (above the wheels) (flooded rural road with a long way round as the option) and it took a long time to drain the tubes out and let them dry, and service both hubs and the BB bearings. I am deterred from ever repeating this. Worth waiting for a car to go through and see how deep the water is, and sometimes where there is frequent flooding, there's a 'depth indicator post, marked off in feet.

OP
OP
S

sambo241

Regular
Had you ridden through a long ford or a flooded road a while ago?
This can be the result: the seals should keep 'normal' water out but any period in water more than 18" deep are likely to result in this (and water in BB as well and in chainstays maybe).
I have ridden through deep water just the once (above the wheels) (flooded rural road with a long way round as the option) and it took a long time to drain the tubes out and let them dry, and service both hubs and the BB bearings. I am deterred from ever repeating this. Worth waiting for a car to go through and see how deep the water is, and sometimes where there is frequent flooding, there's a 'depth indicator post, marked off in feet.

No I can't say there's been anything particularly deep that I've rode through on the bike. Just your common types of puddles with some maybe around half a foot deep if that.

Could it be from cleaning the bike? I hose it down but I don't focus on one point for too long so I can't imagine it would be.

First commute back on it this morning was a success, so first impressions are thankfully good for the local Halfords. I won't get carried away though don't worry aha

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You often find those soft rubber caps distort and let water and grit in. Had one last week I couldn't get to 'sit' properly. Don't know if it's possible to get them as spares.

Top Bottom