Can I use a 10 speed 105 cassette( minus one cog) on a 9 speed sora bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My bike has Sora 9 speed with an 11/32 Cassette. For an upcoming hilly event I would like a 34 tooth cog on the cassette.

I have a useable 11 /34 10 speed 105 cassette in the shed .Can I just leave off the smallest (11 tooth) cog and fit it on my 9 speed hub?

I know a Sora Cassette is only £20 but its only for a one off event with 25% climbs.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No, the spacing between 9 and 10 speed sprockets are different and it won't index.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Righto . Spent a fortune on bike etc lately. Don't suppose another £20 will put us in the workhouse.

Thanks for quick reply .Stopped me wasting time on a no goer.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You couldn't leave the smallest one off anyway as the lockring wouldn't then work properly. If you have the correct spacers then you can bastardise a 9sp cassette out of a 10sp as the sprockets themselves are the same thickness. I've certainly done it with Campagnolo.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I recently removed the largest cog from an 8 speed 11-32, which was a cheap way to get a 'custom 7-speed 11-26' .
But I use friction shifting.

I reckon you'd have to change all the spacers to cut down a 10 speed cassette

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Probably the easiest option. Can your mech handle the larger sprocket?

Sora long cage is advertised as able to cope with 11/34 cassette.
I have been told a 12/36 will work with full use of b screw but dont think i want to go that far.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sora long cage is advertised as able to cope with 11/34 cassette.
I have been told a 12/36 will work with full use of b screw but dont think i want to go that far.
Maybe a new bike is the answer?

You know you want one.

Ajax Bay

Guru
you can bastardise a 9sp cassette out of a 10sp as the sprockets themselves are the same thickness
And you're prepared to cut apart the sprockets that are riveted together.
A new 9 speed cassette is the sensible approach. Make sure you try it out before the event by going out and 'powering' up some hills. If your chain is worn, it may slip on the new cassette - and the OP doesn't want to find this out 10m up the first hill on their forthcoming event.

Top Bottom