Can I use a 10-speed quick link on an 8-speed chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Obviously, I could try doing it and see what happened, but I don't want to risk an accident if there is a danger of the link breaking for some reason.

The 8-speed chain in question is on my singlespeed bike so it has a perfect chainline at all times. There is no gear changing to consider, nor other rings and sprockets. I have started using 8-speed chains because they are cheaper and I want to keep running costs down.

I could just buy the right type of link but I have a bag of 10-speed quick links so I would rather use them if I can. IIRC, the internal dimensions of 8/9/10/11-speed chains are the same so a 10-speed link should fit. It would just be narrower than the 8-speed links making up the rest of the chain.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I should add that I have joined the chain with the 8-speed link which came with it. This would be for a chain repair out on the road, were I to snap the chain. Obviously, one can't just shorten the chain on a singlespeed bike the way one can on a bike with derailleurs.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Plan B ...

Practise joining chains without use of quick links!

Join the chain gang.jpg

I suppose that I should actually practise with the small chain tool on my multi-tool because I would rather not lug the big Jobsworth one around with me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS Why I do I get the feeling that the eagle-eyed Yellow Saddle will shortly return and say that the chain in question shouldn't be rejoined because of [insert obscure fact about that chain's rivets here!] ... :whistle: :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Six of those rivets appear damaged. You should not re-use rivets with little circles on them. That chain is not safe, besides, it is probably too short for your bike and how do you expect to fit it? You'll notice that it won't go inside the rear triangle like that.
I was actually wondering about the rivets because of those circles. I assumed that whatever tool pressed them in slightly, er, (don't know technical term for it!) flattens the ends of them to make them more secure? That leaves me not knowing whether you are serious about reusing the rivets ...

The shortness of the chain can be dealt with! :laugh:

If I have to do an emergency repair then I won't stand up to pedal and will treat the bike as though the chain could snap at any moment. I'll buy some 8-speed links but probably not by Saturday (nickyboy's Scarborough ride).

davidphilips

Veteran
Colin, Theres 8 speed quick links on ebay 99p delivered, may save you a trip to local shop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pairs-B...hash=item58ebe4be1d:m:mubi0k7aDxP99HwRKgqZdBA

Attachments

• Tulips.jpg
    Tulips.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, Theres 8 speed quick links on ebay 99p delivered, may save you a trip to local shop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pairs-B...hash=item58ebe4be1d:m:mubi0k7aDxP99HwRKgqZdBA
Cheers - that saved me looking! I have ordered the last remaining 3 pairs.

It looks a similar deal to the 10-speed ones that I bought last time. They take ages to arrive because they are coming the cheapo way from China, but that is a good price.

I'll be unlucky to break the chain in the next 2 months. It has done about 100 miles so it has survived the 'infant mortality' period (ie a faulty chain should have snapped by now) and it hasn't had enough use to wear out. I'll carry my loop of spare chain and bodge a repair by re-riveting that if I have to.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And ...

... they have finally arrived. I think someone must have walked here from China with them! :laugh:

8 speed quick links.jpg

I buy a lot of small items from China on eBay and they usually take quite a long time to arrive, but this was probably the slowest delivery yet!

gbb

Legendary Member
Six of those rivets appear damaged. You should not re-use rivets with little circles on them. That chain is not safe, besides, it is probably too short for your bike and how do you expect to fit it? You'll notice that it won't go inside the rear triangle like that.
While not questioning your wisdom re the rivets...it makes me wonder how in the hell survived as a kid. I'd split a chain by placing a hexagon nut on the ground, lay the bike down and punch the pin out with a hammer and often a nail as a punch. Reassembly would entail carefully :laugh: snapping the plate over the pin with taps from a hammer then lightly peening the pin head over. Gawld knows how one of then never came apart.
Bear in mind these were probably 3 speed chains at the most, when chains seemed nigh on indestructible.

Top Bottom