Can I use my regular shoes for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Did you have to put your saddle up to accommodate them?

Jody

Stubborn git
Soft sole shoes also don't last long on pedals with metal pins

Apart from that, wear what you want

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ideally the shoes are stiff enough ( not plimsoles) and grippy enough but not too grippy.
Cycling shoes are overkill for normal everyday pootling around.
Trad leather soles dont do well on metal pedals.

1713439453131.png

but you can get that look if you want

presta

Guru
I've always used traditional rat-traps with toe clips and ordinary shoes, for years until they stopped making them, my preferred shoes were Stead & Simpsons Hobos. By the time the shoes are worn out, the soles still look almost new apart from a hole under my left big toe where I put my foot down, the pedals barely leave a mark.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hey everyone, I have recently started cycling and was just wondering if someone here has any experience cycling with non-cycling shoes. I've got a pair of Vivobarefoot trainer but I'm not quite sure if they'll do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes certainly you can.

You only really benefit from specific cycling shoes if you go the whole hog and go for one of the so called "clipless" fitting pedals and special cleated shoes. I do find these more comfortable and easier to ride in, but have gone for the two bolt mountain bike style which allows you to walk OK in the shoes. "road" oriented 3 bolt cleats and their shoes are unsuitable for more than hobbling to the tea shop.

Alternatively if you want a bit extra security the older toe clips and straps work well, albeit less convenient than "clipless", but avoid the need for the dreaded special shoes.

As an aside, I always found stiff-soled good quality office shoes more comfortable to cycle in, and the stiffer (than trainers) uppers reduce the pinching from toe straps. There are, or were, cycling oriented shoes for toe clips, but only racers and very keen tourers bothered I think

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Only if you are short

You may jest but Mrs PP was looking into doing motorbike lessons buy being only 5" tall was struggling to find something she could get her leg over (Ooh er missus!) and was seriously looking into platform sole boots. With the current huge rigmarole over motorbike licensing we'd have to buy a sequence of maybe 3 different bikes to be lowered just to do the lessons. And all that just to get the pre war AjS she actually wants. For tall blokes the training places have bikes to rent

a.twiddler

Veteran
You may jest but Mrs PP was looking into doing motorbike lessons buy being only 5" tall was struggling to find something she could get her leg over (Ooh er missus!) and was seriously looking into platform sole boots. With the current huge rigmarole over motorbike licensing we'd have to buy a sequence of maybe 3 different bikes to be lowered just to do the lessons. And all that just to get the pre war AjS she actually wants. For tall blokes the training places have bikes to rent

I feel her pain, being a shortarsed motorbiker of long standing. I've been limited in choice of bikes, even having to fit shorter rear shocks and lower the front forks in the yokes to manage. Tall adventure tourers? No chance. Getting bicycles with suitable frames was equally a problem.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I feel her pain, being a shortarsed motorbiker of long standing. I've been limited in choice of bikes, even having to fit shorter rear shocks and lower front the forks in yokes to manage. Tall adventure tourers? No chance. Getting bicycles with suitable frames was equally a problem.

My brother, being a short arse had the seat lowered on a Yamaha Fazer he bought. I don't know how they did it but the bike did fit him after that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I feel her pain, being a shortarsed motorbiker of long standing. I've been limited in choice of bikes, even having to fit shorter rear shocks and lower front the forks in yokes to manage. Tall adventure tourers? No chance. Getting bicycles with suitable frames was equally a problem.

and you don't want the horror of some ghastly cruiser thing

Top Bottom