Can I use ordinary clear dubbin on my old Brooks saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I am very much a cyclist on a budget and I have some dubbin already and would rather use it if it will do any good and won't dammage it. It may seem a bit tight but I'm watching every penny at the moment.

BigTone0777

I'm in the same boat and that's exactly what I would use!

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm in the same boat and that's exactly what I would use!

That's encouraging. What I've done in the past when using it on some old boots that needed a good feed was to gently heat it up so that it was virtually a liquid so that it would soak in more easily. If I use it on my Brooks I may well do the same thing as it looks like it hasn't ever had any attention at all. Needs bringing back to life.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes.
I did it and my brooks only lasted 25 years ....
It'll be fine, use sparingly, put a reasonable dose on the underside and then leave it alone. every 6 months is possible too frequent.

yello

Isn't the Brook's riders mantra (with regard to proofing) something like 'once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then every year'.... but then others say 'never! you'll ruin it!!' There are so many adages and old wives' tales that it's a bit confusing; all part of the mystic rituals of Brooks.

Davidc

Guru
Nothing mystic about Brooks Saddles, they're just leather.

I've always used the Brooks stuff, because it's come free with 2 of my 4 Brooks saddles, but if I hadn't I'd use dubbin.

Like any leather item loads to begin with and then when it looks as if it needs it. Apart from when new I do my saddles a couple of times in winter. Never had any problem with them.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I used the dubbin. All is well. Might give it a bit more once this lot has soaked in.

I'm glad I found this forum because it's little chats like this that can kill a relationship.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Donate the Brooks to a museum of medieval technology and get yourself a modern, lightweight plastic saddle. It's one of the applications where modern materials actually out-perform traditional materials.

asterix

Comrade Member
The guy is on a budget, he says. He probably can't afford to buy junk.

Davidc

Guru
Donate the Brooks to a museum of medieval technology and get yourself a modern, lightweight plastic saddle. It's one of the applications where modern materials actually out-perform traditional materials.

Trouble is the modern materials can't make a comfortable bike saddle.

The best I've tried is the Charge Spoon. Tolerable, but still nowhere near as comfortable as a Brooks B17.

Other trouble is that the modern materials don't last long enough. A saddle should last at least 20 years.

gwhite

Über Member

If this is true then you may experience difficulties in convincing the many tourists using Leather saddles. In the last survey I saw, around 90% of tourists preferred them.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If this is true then you may experience difficulties in convincing the many tourists using Leather saddles. In the last survey I saw, around 90% of tourists preferred them.

I still haven't really used it in any serious way. I had it on for a couple of miles when I decided that I should perhaps look after it to get the full benefit. As yet then I am uninitiated as to the way of the leather brooks saddle. I see earlier someone mentioned B17 being comfortable. Mine is a B66 which from the little I have read is a fairly common and popular model. I don't know how old it is but I would guess at fairly old. The metal work isn't quite wrought iron but it does look a bit industrial.

I don't know if it will fit with my existing seat stem though. The B66 has a double rail arangement with a specialy designed double railed housing that just fits over the top of the tube. I however have got a more modern seatpost with the alen key clamp sort of dodad. If I used it I would have to finagle it to just attatch to the lower rail or change the seatpost entirely. Nothing is ever simple.

tyred

Legendary Member
The B66 and other twin (& triple) rail saddles need a different clamp from the more normal single rail type. They are wider between the rails anyway. The options are a traditional "plain pipe" seat post or there is an adaptor available to allow the twin rail to fit the more modern seatposts.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The B66 and other twin (& triple) rail saddles need a different clamp from the more normal single rail type. They are wider between the rails anyway. The options are a traditional "plain pipe" seat post or there is an adaptor available to allow the twin rail to fit the more modern seatposts.

An adaptor it is then. Probably.

Top Bottom