Can it be...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

......that cycling makes you a better human being?

Walking through Soho square today, saw a silver specialized chained to a lamp-post. It had clearly been blown (or knocked) over and had "slid" down the lamp-post.

Still being chained meant that it was now laying half in the road and half on the pavement. A kindly motorist had parked at an angle to avoid driving over the wheel.

To the bemusement of the client that I was with, I stopped, lifted it up and placed it back against the lamp-post (carefully, so as not to scratch the top tube)

I just can't imagine I would have given it a second thought 5 months ago!

shunter

I remember nearly doing this once but then thought , what if the owner is nearby and gives me a hiding for attempting to steal his bike:sad:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think Jonny- it's cause you care about bikes.
Some cyclists would walk past, some wouldn't - not sure it's related to cycling per se but maybe love of the bike in general...

I guess your client just didn't get it then?!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I turn the lights off on bikes that have left them on in the basement.. don't want peoples battries running flat!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
I guess your client just didn't get it then?!

We were in mid conversation, and I did it without breaking the conversation, just kept on talking...very casual like! I didnt mention anything about what I was doing and neither did he ....later on he asked if it was my bike.

He also brought the drinks later, so he must have been quite impressed!:biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of a story I came across in a discarded Evening Standard a while back (no, I wouldn't buy/accept it - for non-Londoners think 'London's Evening Daily Mail') where they'd set up a sting by leaving an unchained bike in Central London. It was left completely alone all day, except on two occasions when it fell over and passing pedestrians picked it up and lent it carefully back against the railings.

jonny jeez said:
We were in mid conversation, and I did it without breaking the conversation, just kept on talking...very casual like! I didnt mention anything about what I was doing and neither did he ....later on he asked if it was my bike.

He also brought the drinks later, so he must have been quite impressed!:biggrin:
Look on that as your reward. Or karma. Or whatever. :biggrin:

yenrod

jonny jeez said:

......that cycling makes you a better human being?

Walking through Soho square today, saw a silver specialized chained to a lamp-post. It had clearly been blown (or knocked) over and had "slid" down the lamp-post.

Still being chained meant that it was now laying half in the road and half on the pavement. A kindly motorist had parked at an angle to avoid driving over the wheel.

To the bemusement of the client that I was with, I stopped, lifted it up and placed it back against the lamp-post (carefully, so as not to scratch the top tube)

I just can't imagine I would have given it a second thought 5 months ago!

Most Londoners wouldnt give 2 whatevers for the state of that...if anyone!

thomas

the tank engine
shunter said:
I remember nearly doing this once but then thought , what if the owner is nearby and gives me a hiding for attempting to steal his bike:sad:

I think that would be my worry...or they'd think I knocked it over and blame me for any scratches. Depends....though, if a lovely black specalised allez is ever on itside, please pick it up for me :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
gaz said:
I turn the lights off on bikes that have left them on in the basement.. don't want peoples battries running flat!

I do that in the bike racks at work :smile:
Ive also fixed a puncture on someones bike once or twice...without telling them.
Ive got to stop looking at peoples chains in the same bike rack...and getting an urge to oil the poor dry things.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
gbb said:
I do that in the bike racks at work :smile:
Ive also fixed a puncture on someones bike once or twice...without telling them.
Ive got to stop looking at peoples chains in the same bike rack...and getting an urge to oil the poor dry things.

i do the latter whilst riding, sometimes you can just hear that the bike hasn't seen a lick of oil since it was purchased!

Top Bottom