Can Old 80s Shimano Deore Pedals Be Serviced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I have Shimano Deore MT60 bear trap pedals from the mid 80s. They're getting a bit noisy, making a roaring noise when spun by hand. I assume they need new BBs and some grease. Will a good bike shop be able to strip and service this type of pedal? They must be good pedals, as there are some on ebay, used at £60 a pair! So poss worth saving.

vintagesh-1373253544-14301.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I think you can prise the end cap off, then there is a nut which can be undone with a socket spanner and a cone which can be undone with a screwdriver. Bearings are loose so careful you don't loose them.

Another option would be to drill a small hole in the body and pump grease in to flush them through. Done it with cheap pedals but not to a nice pair of Shimano's before.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Unscrew and remove the cage, remove the end cap (screw or prise, can't remember) then press the grease of choice in to the open pedal body with your thumb until it oozes out at the axle end. Replace the cap and cage then job done. :okay:

Nice pedals with cup and cone bearings. Very serviceable. Hundreds and thousands of tiny bearing balls inside. To remove the bearings you will first have to remove the cage. You'll also need a 10mm socket because a spanner won't fit in the recess. I hope I remember correctly. I may have miscounted the bearings.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers, but I've got a pair I would like revitalized.
Bough new ones in the meantime :whistle:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes they are serviceable - the bearings are tiny so not an easy task for fat fingers and unsteady hands (well that's my experience anyway!)

Drago

Legendary Member
As above, they're serviceable. Not sure if they're like other Shimano pedals that need a special tool to undo them, or if conventional tools don the job.

Serviceable but not cost effective to pay a bike shop. Pedals are probably the easiest thing to service if you can handle the small ball bearings. Consider disassembling inside a plastic bag if you need to remove them. I reuse the balls on my MKS pedals.

S-Express

Unless you have an emotional attachment to those pedals, I would just replace them, as servicing is a) a right proper faff, and b) possibly not cost effective, especially if you ask a shop to do it.

Top Bottom