Can people really change???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I am a completely different person today to the man I was four or five years ago. I am stronger, more forgiving, more open minded, and a lot more persistant...not to mention fitter both physically and mentally. Yes a leopard can change his/her spots. It takes a lot of effort, pain and in some cases pure bloody mindedness but it is totally possible.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm relatively new here (29th June). I take it you're the resident troll on here?

I think that you are a tad too sensitive. There's a rich(sic) variety of people here and you can not expect everyone to fall in line with your expectations.

Just as your addictive friend has had a variety of responses to his predicament, some of them not to your taste, you can equally expect a range of responses ranging from sarcasm through to irreverence. Hang about a bit longer and you'll see what I mean.

Life would be a tad tedious if every predicament had a templated response.

OP
OP
B

Beeankey

I think that you are a tad too sensitive. There's a rich(sic) variety of people here and you can not expect everyone to fall in line with your expectations.

Just as your addictive friend has had a variety of responses to his predicament, some of them not to your taste, you can equally expect a range of responses ranging from sarcasm through to irreverence. Hang about a bit longer and you'll see what I mean.

Life would be a tad tedious if every predicament had a templated response.

Fair point and maybe I was a tad sensitive earlier.

I will agree with Arch though and say if I wasn't interested in something I just wouldn't comment. It's not as if it was a thread about something trivial.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My honest opinion is that the gambling streak may lurk there in the background forever. That doesn't mean to say that they can't fight it, and not succumb, but it won't be easy. As for not having anything to do with them - if it is just over money then surely you just don't lend them any money in future, maybe there was something more to it.

colly

Re member eR
I think know people can change, but no amount of yelling, cajoling, shaming will do it. It has to come from them and be their decision.
A chap who lived near me was a chronic alcoholic for years until the day he finally decided enough was enough. He stopped drinking, went to AA, and 20 years later spends his free time arranging and running AA meetings to help others who are where he was all those years ago.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm relatively new here (29th June). I take it you're the resident troll on here?

I'm normally pretty thick skinned but find both your comments on this thread so far in bad taste. This is a friend of mine I witnessed destroying his life and others around him. He has made amends to everyone as well as he can, has turned his life around and is making efforts on a daily basis to improve himself and those around him.

I was merely asking people's opinions on here as in the short time on here have witnessed some intelligent people and had just returned from lunch with the close minded mate and not prepared to risk my friends anonymity with work colleagues who know him and don't know about his gambling addiction
Blimey, if you really wanted a serious debate on your mate's addictive behaviour, I'd suggest that joining a cycling forum and starting a thread on mental health issues, in the piss-taking section called Café, is possibly not the right approach! :thumbsup:

So one mate of yours got burned by another mate and now you're upset they don't get on.

Some people may be able to change and some won't be able to forgive them regardless of the change, c'est la vie.

Noodley

All change comes from within, you just need to change your view of your mate that you are pissed off with

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 2551623, member: 30090"]Not to mention Health & Fitness. Never have I seen so much frothing when it comes to giving advice on what to eat and how to train.[/quote]

Not wrong....

02GF74

Über Member
If people truly couldn't change then mankind would have ground to a halt long ago.

really - what evidence do you have to say other wise? cavemen were hacking each other to death and it still carries on (Lee Rigby). Just think how advanced the human race would be if effort was not spent on way to anihilate each other?

I believe that individiual can change but the nastiness inside people remains.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
really - what evidence do you have to say other wise? cavemen were hacking each other to death and it still carries on (Lee Rigby). Just think how advanced the human race would be if effort was not spent on way to anihilate each other?

I believe that individiual can change but the nastiness inside people remains.

Evidence? I thought this was a forum debate? Truth has no place here.

Top Bottom