Can people really change???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

I have a friend who caused a fair bit of mayhem in his life with gambling.

He gambled every penny he could get his hands on, had borrowed money from virtually eveyone who knew him, destroyed relationships to the point people including his family disowned him, lost numerous jobs, his self respect, dignity and most of the people who cared for him and told lies that Walter Mitty would be proud of.

I always kind of stood by him and tried to help him. I encouraged him to seek help and he never did. 3 years ago he literally had no one or anywhere to go or turn to. (I was on holiday at the time). He stood on a bridge and was going to throw himself off and in the end never went through with it.

The next day he walked into gamblers anonymous off his own back and has not gambled since. He got himself a flat, a job and attends 3 GA meetings per week. He has a new partner in his life, his family and various friends are back in his life and has really turned things around and in my opinion back to the guy he was before he turned into a compulsive gambler. Last week I attended his 3 year PIN which is a celabration and what GA call a year off a bet. Like a birthday in AA.

I had lunch today with a mutual friend. He loaned him £500 4 years ago which he got back but wants nothing to do with him and has not spoken to the mate who's a gambler for 3 and a half years.

I was explaining that he has made huge strides to change himself and his life but he reckons it's all just an act or just a phase and will revert back to his old ways at one point as "a leopard can't change his spots" and will never speak or have anything to do with him ever again.

I wholeheartedly disagree and genuinely think that people can change.

What's your thoughts as I was a bit pissed off at my mate for being so close minded?

tyred

Legendary Member
I believe you can. It sure ain't easy, but it can be done with the right help, counselling and support.

I didn't have a gambling problem but but did have major issues left over from a very unhappy childhood and now I feel confident, happy and moving my life forward in a way I just never believed possible.

OP
OP
B

Beeankey

I have a deeply held theory that people who start numerous inane threads never change:whistle:

Hardly think a thread talking about a guy who was on the brink of suicide due to an addiction and then sorted himself out is an inane thread!!!

Each to their own I suppose and you're entitled to your opinion.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic and she has been sober for 6 years. She attends AA meetings regularly and has totally turned her life around. I think people can change, if they want too. I am sure its the same for gamblers or for anything people are addicted to.

Good for your friend, sorting his life out. Maybe your other friend needs to forgive and forget, it might do him some good.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think with any addiction or compulsion you can overcome the urges, but you will always be an addict. There's always the chance of a return to previous behaviour but many addicts stay "straight" for years and years so there's proof that people can atleast overcome these things if not change completely.
It's quite sad that somebody would hold a grudge when the bloke is clearly trying so hard.

byegad

Legendary Member
In my experience, once a twat, always a twat.

OP
OP
B

Beeankey

Give him a tenner and ask him to put a bet on for you. If he doesn't come back...

I'm relatively new here (29th June). I take it you're the resident troll on here?

I'm normally pretty thick skinned but find both your comments on this thread so far in bad taste. This is a friend of mine I witnessed destroying his life and others around him. He has made amends to everyone as well as he can, has turned his life around and is making efforts on a daily basis to improve himself and those around him.

I was merely asking people's opinions on here as in the short time on here have witnessed some intelligent people and had just returned from lunch with the close minded mate and not prepared to risk my friends anonymity with work colleagues who know him and don't know about his gambling addiction

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm relatively new here (29th June). I take it you're the resident troll on here?

I'm normally pretty thick skinned but find both your comments on this thread so far in bad taste. This is a friend of mine I witnessed destroying his life and others around him. He has made amends to everyone as well as he can, has turned his life around and is making efforts on a daily basis to improve himself and those around him.

Don't worry about Rich. He's very old.....but a nice old sort if you know what I mean.
The trolls live in commuting and C&D.:thumbsup:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Some people can change, some can't.
Some will forgive, some won't.
Some can be forgiven, some never will be.

Good on your friend for taking steps and action to break his addiction, I hope he continues his recovery. Your other friend may just find the whole situation more then he can deal with and doesn't want to forgive, nor risk 'losing' a friend all over again.
Best leave it as that and remain friends with both, separately, and accept that they are the people they are.

Top Bottom