Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
When i go to town for a spend,i like to use cash.Halfway through i sometimes go to special cake shops,they are yummy and very big.So there are two and both refuse to take cash.I don't argue i just walk out.They have lost a cake and coffee sale there and then and more at later dates.So is it illegal to refuse cash.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alot of small traders no longer deal with cash. Pain to find a bank/post office to pay in and, of course, the security side. Loads of small traders in Manchester that are card only. If (and its a big if) I have cash on me, I usually ask even the larger establishments if they accept cash. My wife kept some cash back for date nights, but proved pretty useless when we went out as very few accept cash now.

Postie, was is a 'special' cake shop like in Amsterdam ?

Dave7

Legendary Member
A chip shop near to me will ONLY accept cash.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There's a lot to be said for keeping cash alive - if you can re-circulate it without being taxed for paying it into the bank it's cheaper than card payments; while of course it keeps the man's nose out of what you're spending and staves off the march towards the nightmarish Chinese model where everything is electronic and your ability to purchase anything can be tracked and turned off at the stroke of a key if you dare to offend the establishment.

Look just beneath the surface at such issues and it starts to reveal how farcical, loaded and intrinsically worthless our system of fiat money really is; and that's even before we've moved onto electronic payments and central-bank-digital-currencies; which push it to a whole new level.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m always concerned about a cash only business.
My suspicion is that they are dodging tax or worse still using the business for money laundering.
HMRC will know how much money a standard shop will take and any business which is significantly under or over will raise suspicion.

Top Bottom