Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A chip shop near to me will ONLY accept cash.

Same as the one I use in Accrington. The owners tell unknowing customers, who then usually say they'll draw some money out and be back in 10 minutes, after giving their order. The owners never make the order up though till that customer reappears, in case they don't and then they'd be stuck with freshly prepared food that'd have to go in the hot display, or be binned if it's near closing time. They have a sign on the wall saying SORRY, CASH ONLY.

That’s so you didn’t see her spend on her date nights when you looked at the bank statements.
😂😂😂😂 How many log ins do you have I like Skol?

I was in a Morrisons in Greater Manchester when the shopper in front of me tried to pay with an Isle of Man banknote. The till operator looked confused and turned to me, a Scot, and asked was the note real? I was a little miffed at the fact she couldn’t tell the difference between IoM and Scotland so, despite never seeing such a note before, said to her “yes, it’s totally fine “. She took it and gave the shopper the necessary change.

On the subject of Scottish notes in England, I’ve never personally had a problem but my, English, wife often does, particularly in the north of England. I just step up and they take it. All very odd.

Svendo

Guru
I was in a Morrisons in Greater Manchester when the shopper in front of me tried to pay with an Isle of Man banknote. The till operator looked confused and turned to me, a Scot, and asked was the note real? I was a little miffed at the fact she couldn’t tell the difference between IoM and Scotland so, despite never seeing such a note before, said to her “yes, it’s totally fine “. She took it and gave the shopper the necessary change.

On the subject of Scottish notes in England, I’ve never personally had a problem but my, English, wife often does, particularly in the north of England. I just step up and they take it. All very odd.

I think I recently read that IoM, Jersey and Guernsey pounds are technically separate currencies, albeit also called pounds, pegged to the GBP pound and with the same format for coins and notes ( exceptions may exist).

I think I recently read that IoM, Jersey and Guernsey pounds are technically separate currencies, albeit also called pounds, pegged to the GBP pound and with the same format for coins and notes ( exceptions may exist).

That’s my understanding too. Daft, and offensive, of the till operator to ask me hence my response to her. I sure, somewhere along the line it would have been honoured though and Morrisons would not have lost out.

How did the till operator know you were Scottish?

It was my ‘local’ store that I visited at least once a week or so for 8 years.

Slick

Guru
My cousin owns a chip shop. He only takes cash. He also pays cash for a lot of his stock.

Sadly the shop is only making a small profit, but at least he doesn't have to pay much tax.

If his numbers were that small he would likely not have to pay much tax even if he wasn't using cash for everything.

He may actually be better off, as many people found out when they were applying for covid grants.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A shop that doesn't take card doesn't get my custom. I walked out of a local cafe only last week as they were cash only. The chap said there was a cash machine a few doors away. No mate, if you can't be bothered to take card then why should I be bothered to go out of my way to get cash out of a machine just for you?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A shop that doesn't take card doesn't get my custom. I walked out of a local cafe only last week as they were cash only. The chap said there was a cash machine a few doors away. No mate, if you can't be bothered to take card then why should I be bothered to go out of my way to get cash out of a machine just for you?

I was cycling in Spain early last year when we stopped off for some lunch in a small village cafe. (Calling @nickyboy ....) after we had eaten and paid (by card) I spotted the rather lovely looking cake shop next door. Wanting a small dessert or two, me and one of the guys in the group went and browsed the counter then ordered a cake or several to be bagged up for us to take on our journey.

Imagine our dismay when we went to pay, only to find it was cash only! I quickly dashed up the street to a convenient cash till, which turned out to be not so convenient as it wouldn't play ball with my bank! I went back into the shop which by now had bagged our goods and had developed a small queue.

I tried to explain to the staff in my rubbish Anglo/Spanish that we had no means of paying and were very sorry for trouble caused, then left to explain to the rest of the group what had happened.
A minute or two later my other ride buddy came out of the shop bearing the pastries, much to our amazement.

It turns out a local gent behind us in the queue had got the gist of our predicament and paid for the goods himself. When he came out of the shop I shook his hand vigorously and thanked him profusely in my shockingly bad Anglo/Spanish. A true gentleman, but just goes to show the absurd wrinkles of the cash/cashless society we now live in.

Top Bottom