Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Shops can pretty much stipulate how they want to be paid. They don't have to accept any particular type of payment, they can refuse Scottish money for example, or £50 notes or even fivers at the manager's whim. And cash is becoming obsolete with more and more places taking card only. My hairdresser doesn't take cards but does take bank transfer so I sort it on my phone before I leave and it's just as convenient really.

The only problem I personally experience with a cashless society is when the kids need a pound coin for something or other at school.

presta

Guru
When i go to town for a spend,i like to use cash.Halfway through i sometimes go to special cake shops,they are yummy and very big.So there are two and both refuse to take cash.I don't argue i just walk out.They have lost a cake and coffee sale there and then and more at later dates.So is it illegal to refuse cash.

The method of payment is irrelevant, they're not legally obliged to sell you anything at all if they choose not to. You're on private property at the owners invitation, so they can throw you out if they want, which is exactly what happens if & when people cause trouble. The system works because people generally want to sell something as much as others want to buy it.

It's not that long ago I saw the security guard chucking someone out of Tesco. I didn't see what he'd done, but he kept repeatedly shouting at the top of his voice "You can't throw me out, my mum used to work here!".

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Not in my experience. If they were that savvy, they’d have no reason to decline a Scottish note!

Unfortunately they often still do come up with ever more stupid reasons to refuse though.

So much so, I usually just go to a hole in the wall when I get there or when I remember, get over to Erskine as there's one there that pays out English notes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's quite a fun situation really. Can't refuse Scottish customers, can refuse Scottish money.

Slick

Guru
It's quite a fun situation really. Can't refuse Scottish customers, can refuse Scottish money.

I used to do it deliberately just to see their eyes start to twitch. :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I generally only deal in cash and nobody has ever said no. There is a coffee shop in the main street that tried card and back-tracked very quickly when most of their customers disappeared.

When I cycled NCN78 in 2019, I tried to buy dinner in Whetherspoons in Oban but they refused my Ulster Bank £20 note and also refused my Bank of England £50 note so I went elsewhere. They probably did me a favour really as Whetherspoons food tastes like cardboard.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Any shop or trader can refuse to serve you if your tender of choice does not suit them. It's a myth that stamps are legal tender and must be accepted as payment. You're entering into a verbal agreement and trader can choose not to agree to cash or card if they so wish

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My guess is that a shop can ask for payment in any form eg "We only accept conch shells as payment." They may not get much business, but they can try. Quite what the conch shell position is with HMRC is unclear but I'm sure they can come up with something that hurts.

Slick

Guru
My guess is that a shop can ask for payment in any form eg "We only accept conch shells as payment." They may not get much business, but they can try. Quite what the conch shell position is with HMRC is unclear but I'm sure they can come up with something that hurts.

They absolutely can and will.

You might only want conch shells, but Hector the inspector has no problem putting a cash value to your transaction and he wants his slice in his currency of choice regardless of yours.

Top Bottom